AIG counsel told board Greenberg lawsuit has low chance of success
January 24, 2013 5:00 PM EST
AIG Inc's counsel informed its board that a bailout lawsuit filed by former chief executive Hank Greenberg against the U.S. government has a low likelihood of success, as the insurer weighed whether to join the suit, according to a court filing.
Greenberg's case, brought on behalf of his company Starr International Co, accused the U.S. government and the New York Federal Reserve of wasting more than $60 billion of AIG and taxpayer funds in a "backdoor bailout" that let "favored" trading partners, such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc
Insurer AIG weighed whether to join the lawsuit filed by Greenberg and his company, which owned 12 percent of AIG before its $182 billion rescue that started in 2008.
However, facing anger from Congress and the American people, AIG said earlier this month that it would not sue the U.S. government over the terms of the bailout.
In a letter filed with a New York court on Wednesday, AIG lawyer Paul Curnin said he put Starr's likelihood of success "at no more than 20 percent."
Curnin said the available evidence, including more than 3000 pages of exhibits, did not support Starr's assertion that the U.S. government or the New York Fed coerced AIG's board into accepting the bailout loans in September 2008.
The court filing showed that before deciding not to join Greenberg's lawsuit the AIG board discussed issues such as potential damage to the company's brand and image.
The Treasury sold the last of AIG's stake in mid-December 2012. The government has said it earned a return of $22.7 billion on the rescue.
The cases are Starr International Co v. Federal Reserve Bank of New York, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 11-08422; and Starr International Co v. U.S., U.S. Court of Federal Claims, No. 11-00779.
(Reporting by Sakthi Prasad in Bangalore)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown