China Manufacturing Data Boosts Australia Shares
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 24, 2013 4:47 PM EST
Australia's benchmark S&P/ASX 200 inched 0.5 per cent at 0347 GMT at 4813.1, boosted by news from its major trading partner China which was reported to have yielded a growth in its purchasing managers index for the month of January.
According to HSBC's preliminary report, China's PMI for January jumped to 51.9 as against the 51.5 final reading in December. Corresponding to a 24-month high, an above 50 reading states an expansion in manufacturing activity, while below 50 indicates contraction.
Heralding the good news, stocks of Australian miners immediately felt a domino effect.
BHP Billiton jumped 0.3 per cent after reports of the Chinese PMI expansion came out. Newcrest Mining was up by 1.4 per cent, as well as Fortescue Metals Group by 0.2 per cent.
Australia's four big banks, including Westpac, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Australia & New Zealand Banking Group and National Australia Bank, shot up between 0.6 per cent to 1.4 per cent. Telecommunications company Telstra likewise rose by 1 per cent.
The Chinese PMI data, according to Chris Weston, institutional trader at IG, was a welcome "shot in the arm" for the Australian market to push above a psychological barrier at 4800 points, The Wall Street Journal reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8