Canada, Ontario Invest To Re-Tool Toyota Lexus Plant
January 24, 2013 4:04 PM EST
The Canadian and Ontario governments will invest up to C$34 million ($34 million) to help re-tool a Toyota Motor Corp plant in Cambridge, Ontario, to help it expand output and produce a hybrid version of the Lexus sport utility vehicle.
It will be the first hybrid to be built in Canada, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in announcing the investment at the southern Ontario plant on Wednesday, along with Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.
The federal and provincial governments will each provide up to C$16.9 million.
"Our government is committed to helping Canada's automotive sector remain globally competitive and prosperous," Harper said.
Toyota announced last July that it will invest more than C$100 million to expand Lexus production in Canada. [ID:nL2E8IO535] The government funds will add to this investment.
The expansion will increase Lexus manufacturing capacity by 30,000 vehicles to 104,000 units annually, including 15,000 Lexus RX450h hybrid electric vehicles, and create 400 new jobs at the Cambridge plant.
Expanded output is expected to kick off in early 2014.
The Cambridge factory is the only Toyota factory outside of Japan that makes Lexus models.
The funds provided by Ottawa will come from its Automotive Innovation Fund, which was set up in 2008 with an initial C$250 million of government money for research and development projects in Canada's auto industry. The government earlier this month injected another C$250 million into the fund and extended it for five years. IDnL1E9C45BO
Toyota will need to repay the federal government's portion of the funds, but not the portion from the Ontario government, said Toyota spokesman Greig Mordue.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28