Canada, Ontario Invest To Re-Tool Toyota Lexus Plant
January 24, 2013 4:04 PM EST
The Canadian and Ontario governments will invest up to C$34 million ($34 million) to help re-tool a Toyota Motor Corp plant in Cambridge, Ontario, to help it expand output and produce a hybrid version of the Lexus sport utility vehicle.
It will be the first hybrid to be built in Canada, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in announcing the investment at the southern Ontario plant on Wednesday, along with Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.
The federal and provincial governments will each provide up to C$16.9 million.
"Our government is committed to helping Canada's automotive sector remain globally competitive and prosperous," Harper said.
Toyota announced last July that it will invest more than C$100 million to expand Lexus production in Canada. [ID:nL2E8IO535] The government funds will add to this investment.
The expansion will increase Lexus manufacturing capacity by 30,000 vehicles to 104,000 units annually, including 15,000 Lexus RX450h hybrid electric vehicles, and create 400 new jobs at the Cambridge plant.
Expanded output is expected to kick off in early 2014.
The Cambridge factory is the only Toyota factory outside of Japan that makes Lexus models.
The funds provided by Ottawa will come from its Automotive Innovation Fund, which was set up in 2008 with an initial C$250 million of government money for research and development projects in Canada's auto industry. The government earlier this month injected another C$250 million into the fund and extended it for five years. IDnL1E9C45BO
Toyota will need to repay the federal government's portion of the funds, but not the portion from the Ontario government, said Toyota spokesman Greig Mordue.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools