Internet Speed at Its Fastest in Asia – Survey
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 24, 2013 3:59 PM EST
An international survey by content delivery provider Akamai Technologies has found that of all the continents in the world, Internet speed was found to be at its fastest in Asia.
In its latest third quarter 2012 State of the Internet report, Hong Kong continued to top Akamai's list as home of the highest peak connection speed in the world, boasting an average peak connection rate of 54.1Mbps during the third quarter of 2012.
Although the same report also found out that the world's average connection speed dropped by seven per cent to 2.8 Mbps between the second and third quarters of 2012, it was still a minute figure compared to the uptick in the global average connection speeds, which was 11 per cent, year on year.
The report likewise studied attack traffic, where it found that China launches most of the cyber attacks to the world's computer networks. During the third quarter of 2012, 33 per cent of the cyber attack traffic experience by the world came from China, second was the United States at 13 per cent and Turkey at 4.7 per cent. Russia and Taiwan were the other two countries that completed the top five list.
Despite poor Internet infrastructure and the fact that not all of its 1.3 billion people have no immediate access to the Internet at present, the number of Chinese with access to 4Mbps broadband jumped year-over-year to as much as 79 per cent. The number of those with access to connections speeds of 10Mbps or higher was likewise up at 70 per cent.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'