Internet Speed at Its Fastest in Asia – Survey
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 24, 2013 3:59 PM EST
An international survey by content delivery provider Akamai Technologies has found that of all the continents in the world, Internet speed was found to be at its fastest in Asia.
In its latest third quarter 2012 State of the Internet report, Hong Kong continued to top Akamai's list as home of the highest peak connection speed in the world, boasting an average peak connection rate of 54.1Mbps during the third quarter of 2012.
Although the same report also found out that the world's average connection speed dropped by seven per cent to 2.8 Mbps between the second and third quarters of 2012, it was still a minute figure compared to the uptick in the global average connection speeds, which was 11 per cent, year on year.
The report likewise studied attack traffic, where it found that China launches most of the cyber attacks to the world's computer networks. During the third quarter of 2012, 33 per cent of the cyber attack traffic experience by the world came from China, second was the United States at 13 per cent and Turkey at 4.7 per cent. Russia and Taiwan were the other two countries that completed the top five list.
Despite poor Internet infrastructure and the fact that not all of its 1.3 billion people have no immediate access to the Internet at present, the number of Chinese with access to 4Mbps broadband jumped year-over-year to as much as 79 per cent. The number of those with access to connections speeds of 10Mbps or higher was likewise up at 70 per cent.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage