Internet Speed at Its Fastest in Asia – Survey
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 24, 2013 3:59 PM EST
An international survey by content delivery provider Akamai Technologies has found that of all the continents in the world, Internet speed was found to be at its fastest in Asia.
In its latest third quarter 2012 State of the Internet report, Hong Kong continued to top Akamai's list as home of the highest peak connection speed in the world, boasting an average peak connection rate of 54.1Mbps during the third quarter of 2012.
Although the same report also found out that the world's average connection speed dropped by seven per cent to 2.8 Mbps between the second and third quarters of 2012, it was still a minute figure compared to the uptick in the global average connection speeds, which was 11 per cent, year on year.
The report likewise studied attack traffic, where it found that China launches most of the cyber attacks to the world's computer networks. During the third quarter of 2012, 33 per cent of the cyber attack traffic experience by the world came from China, second was the United States at 13 per cent and Turkey at 4.7 per cent. Russia and Taiwan were the other two countries that completed the top five list.
Despite poor Internet infrastructure and the fact that not all of its 1.3 billion people have no immediate access to the Internet at present, the number of Chinese with access to 4Mbps broadband jumped year-over-year to as much as 79 per cent. The number of those with access to connections speeds of 10Mbps or higher was likewise up at 70 per cent.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide