Goldman seeks to block vote on independent chairman
By Rick Rothacker | January 24, 2013 10:28 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Group Inc
Last year, the New York investment bank headed off a similar proposal from another group by appointing a lead independent director on the board.
Beverly O'Toole, Goldman Sachs associate general counsel, sent a letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on January 16 seeking permission to exclude the shareholder proposal from the annual proxy, calling it "inherently vague and indefinite."
CtW Investment Group, which works with union pension funds with more than $200 billion in assets, submitted the resolution in December. The group's proposal called for a board policy requiring the chairman to be a director who has not previously been the CEO and who is independent of management.
Shareholders will vote on proposals included in the proxy filing at the company's annual stockholder meeting.
Michael Pryce-Jones, senior research analyst with CtW, said the group was disappointed with Goldman's effort to block the proposal for what he called "nit-picky" reasons. The company needs an independent chairman because that position would set the board's agenda and provide additional oversight, he said.
Last March, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees dropped its proposal to split the posts after Goldman agreed to create the lead independent director position, which is held by former insurance executive James Schiro.
Naming a lead director "was a move in the right direction, but it's clearly not enough," Pryce-Jones said. Goldman Sachs and the SEC declined to comment.
In recent years, a number of banks have faced shareholder proposals to split the chairman and CEO positions, in hopes of creating more checks and balances on top management.
The resolutions have produced mixed results. In 2009, former Bank of America Corp
This year, investment bank Morgan Stanley
(Reporting By Rick Rothacker in Charlotte, North Carolina; Editing by David Gregorio and Steve Orlofsky)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers