Goldman seeks to block vote on independent chairman
By Rick Rothacker | January 24, 2013 10:28 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Group Inc
Last year, the New York investment bank headed off a similar proposal from another group by appointing a lead independent director on the board.
Beverly O'Toole, Goldman Sachs associate general counsel, sent a letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on January 16 seeking permission to exclude the shareholder proposal from the annual proxy, calling it "inherently vague and indefinite."
CtW Investment Group, which works with union pension funds with more than $200 billion in assets, submitted the resolution in December. The group's proposal called for a board policy requiring the chairman to be a director who has not previously been the CEO and who is independent of management.
Shareholders will vote on proposals included in the proxy filing at the company's annual stockholder meeting.
Michael Pryce-Jones, senior research analyst with CtW, said the group was disappointed with Goldman's effort to block the proposal for what he called "nit-picky" reasons. The company needs an independent chairman because that position would set the board's agenda and provide additional oversight, he said.
Last March, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees dropped its proposal to split the posts after Goldman agreed to create the lead independent director position, which is held by former insurance executive James Schiro.
Naming a lead director "was a move in the right direction, but it's clearly not enough," Pryce-Jones said. Goldman Sachs and the SEC declined to comment.
In recent years, a number of banks have faced shareholder proposals to split the chairman and CEO positions, in hopes of creating more checks and balances on top management.
The resolutions have produced mixed results. In 2009, former Bank of America Corp
This year, investment bank Morgan Stanley
(Reporting By Rick Rothacker in Charlotte, North Carolina; Editing by David Gregorio and Steve Orlofsky)
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best