New Zealand Economist Proposes Extinction of Cats to Save Bird Population
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 24, 2013 9:41 AM EST
Bob, the American software programmer who outsourced his tasks to Chinese developers and instead spent time watching feline videos, would surely disagree with a proposal by Gareth Morgan, a New Zealand economist.
And so would other cat lovers too because Mr Morgan, in his Web site (http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/), suggested the gradual extinction of the country's cat population because of the threat the animals cause to native bird species.
He even described cats as the friendly neighborhood serial killer and made two proposals how to eliminate the country's cat population short of culling them. First, he suggested neutering all cats in New Zealand.
The second step is for cat owners not to replace their pet cats once it dies.
He pointed out in his anti-cat Web site, Cats to Go, that cats have helped kill off nine native bird species and endangered another 33, in the process threatening New Zealand's rich avian diversity.
New Zealanders, however, are cat-lovers with 48 per cent of households owing pet cats, according to the New Zealand Pet Food Manufacturers Association.
Previous studies confirmed that the death of baby gray catbirds in the Washington suburbs were 80 per cent caused by predators, of which 47 per cent were cats; because of the feline's domestication, they have few natural predators to reduce the cat population.
Bob Kerridge, executive director of the Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, urged Mr Morgan to leave the problem for nature to resolve.
Some cat owners, however, insisted that their pets caught only mice, not birds.
The cat versus bird battle brings to mind a childhood favourite cartoon - Tweety and Sylvester.
So whose side are you on - Tweety, the tiny yellow bird, or Sylvester, the puddy tat? Likely, the fight will go beyond Mr Morgan's Web site to Twitter where pro- and anti-cat advocates could debate over the issue through tweets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports