New Zealand Economist Proposes Extinction of Cats to Save Bird Population
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 24, 2013 9:41 AM EST
Bob, the American software programmer who outsourced his tasks to Chinese developers and instead spent time watching feline videos, would surely disagree with a proposal by Gareth Morgan, a New Zealand economist.
And so would other cat lovers too because Mr Morgan, in his Web site (http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/), suggested the gradual extinction of the country's cat population because of the threat the animals cause to native bird species.
He even described cats as the friendly neighborhood serial killer and made two proposals how to eliminate the country's cat population short of culling them. First, he suggested neutering all cats in New Zealand.
The second step is for cat owners not to replace their pet cats once it dies.
He pointed out in his anti-cat Web site, Cats to Go, that cats have helped kill off nine native bird species and endangered another 33, in the process threatening New Zealand's rich avian diversity.
New Zealanders, however, are cat-lovers with 48 per cent of households owing pet cats, according to the New Zealand Pet Food Manufacturers Association.
Previous studies confirmed that the death of baby gray catbirds in the Washington suburbs were 80 per cent caused by predators, of which 47 per cent were cats; because of the feline's domestication, they have few natural predators to reduce the cat population.
Bob Kerridge, executive director of the Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, urged Mr Morgan to leave the problem for nature to resolve.
Some cat owners, however, insisted that their pets caught only mice, not birds.
The cat versus bird battle brings to mind a childhood favourite cartoon - Tweety and Sylvester.
So whose side are you on - Tweety, the tiny yellow bird, or Sylvester, the puddy tat? Likely, the fight will go beyond Mr Morgan's Web site to Twitter where pro- and anti-cat advocates could debate over the issue through tweets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales