Silver’s Win Streak Hits Seven, Gold Futures Dip
By jturbin | January 24, 2013 7:54 AM EST
Precious metals were mixed on Wednesday despite a slight rise in the U.S. dollar against a composite of foreign currencies.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – settled lower by $6.50, or 0.4%, at $1,686.70 per ounce. Silver futures fared quite better, however, as the COMEX March contract finished higher by $0.26, or 0.8%, at $32.44 per ounce. In doing so, silver posted its seventh consecutive daily advance.
While the two most widely-traded precious metals closed in opposite directions today, most gold and silver stocks remained firmly in negative territory this afternoon as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) dropped by 2.5% to 160.05.
Notable XAU components moving lower included AngloGold Ashanti (AU), New Gold (NGD), and Pan American Silver (PAAS). Shares of AU retreated by 1.7% to $29.12, NGD by 3.4% to $10.46, and PAAS by 1.7% to $18.50.
As for the U.S. Dollar Index, it inched up by 0.1% to 79.931 against a basket of currencies that included the euro, yen, and pound.
Other metals finished in the red alongside gold. Copper futures fell by 0.6% to $3.685 per pound, platinum by 0.4% to $1,691.80 per ounce, and palladium by 0.5% to $726.20 per ounce.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase