Silver’s Win Streak Hits Seven, Gold Futures Dip
By jturbin | January 24, 2013 7:54 AM EST
Precious metals were mixed on Wednesday despite a slight rise in the U.S. dollar against a composite of foreign currencies.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – settled lower by $6.50, or 0.4%, at $1,686.70 per ounce. Silver futures fared quite better, however, as the COMEX March contract finished higher by $0.26, or 0.8%, at $32.44 per ounce. In doing so, silver posted its seventh consecutive daily advance.
While the two most widely-traded precious metals closed in opposite directions today, most gold and silver stocks remained firmly in negative territory this afternoon as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) dropped by 2.5% to 160.05.
Notable XAU components moving lower included AngloGold Ashanti (AU), New Gold (NGD), and Pan American Silver (PAAS). Shares of AU retreated by 1.7% to $29.12, NGD by 3.4% to $10.46, and PAAS by 1.7% to $18.50.
As for the U.S. Dollar Index, it inched up by 0.1% to 79.931 against a basket of currencies that included the euro, yen, and pound.
Other metals finished in the red alongside gold. Copper futures fell by 0.6% to $3.685 per pound, platinum by 0.4% to $1,691.80 per ounce, and palladium by 0.5% to $726.20 per ounce.
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys