BREAKING: Pentagon Chief Panetta To Lift Ban On Women In Combat
By Ashley Portero | January 24, 2013 7:50 AM EST
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is removing the military’s ban on women serving in combat, unnamed senior defense officials told The Associated Press.
The monumental and trailblazing move, which was recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, overturns a 1994 rule that prohibited women from being assigned to ground combat units. The contentious ban was scrutinized in November, after four female U.S. service members filed a lawsuit challenging the rule.
Ground combat units are smaller and often in battle for longer periods, making them more dangerous. But the female plaintiffs who sued allege the policy unfairly blocks women from promotions and other advancements offered to men in combat, barring them from approximately 238,000 positions in the Armed Forces.
Panetta’s decision will reportedly give military services until January 2016 to request special exceptions in cases where they believe a position must remain closed to women.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools