Apple Lost This Crown to Samsung Last Year
By Aabha Rathee | January 24, 2013 6:16 AM EST
In what is some indication of changing demand trends, Samsung (SSNLF.PK) has passed . Samsung had come in at $16.7 billion for a 5.5 percent share.
Samsung is famously outselling in the U.S. at the same time, leading to the rapid growth in the company’s chip requirements.
chip sales fell 3 percent last year to $297.6 billion, according to Gartner. According to the data, six of the top 10 chip purchasers reduced spending on it last year because of the general slowdown in computer sales.
“In addition to a weak macroeconomic situation, a dramatic change in consumer demand contributed to a reduction in semiconductor demand in 2012,” IDC research Masatsune Yamaji wrote in the report. “The PC market still represented the largest sector for chip demand, but desktop and mobile PCs did not sell well, as consumers’ interest shifted to new mobile computing devices like smartphones and media tablets.”
Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ), which came in third overall, cut semiconductor expenditures by 13 percent to $14 billion, while fourth-placed Dell (NASDAQ:DELL) reduced spending by a similar percentage to $8.6 billion. Sony (NYSE:SNE) was up in fifth place from eighth after growing spending 1.9 percent to $7.9 billion. Nokia (NYSE:NKE) fell the most, with demand from the Finnish handset maker dropping as much as 42.6 percent to 1.7 percent of the global share at $5 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’