Apple Lost This Crown to Samsung Last Year
By Aabha Rathee | January 24, 2013 6:16 AM EST
In what is some indication of changing demand trends, Samsung (SSNLF.PK) has passed . Samsung had come in at $16.7 billion for a 5.5 percent share.
Samsung is famously outselling in the U.S. at the same time, leading to the rapid growth in the company’s chip requirements.
chip sales fell 3 percent last year to $297.6 billion, according to Gartner. According to the data, six of the top 10 chip purchasers reduced spending on it last year because of the general slowdown in computer sales.
“In addition to a weak macroeconomic situation, a dramatic change in consumer demand contributed to a reduction in semiconductor demand in 2012,” IDC research Masatsune Yamaji wrote in the report. “The PC market still represented the largest sector for chip demand, but desktop and mobile PCs did not sell well, as consumers’ interest shifted to new mobile computing devices like smartphones and media tablets.”
Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ), which came in third overall, cut semiconductor expenditures by 13 percent to $14 billion, while fourth-placed Dell (NASDAQ:DELL) reduced spending by a similar percentage to $8.6 billion. Sony (NYSE:SNE) was up in fifth place from eighth after growing spending 1.9 percent to $7.9 billion. Nokia (NYSE:NKE) fell the most, with demand from the Finnish handset maker dropping as much as 42.6 percent to 1.7 percent of the global share at $5 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase