Apple Lost This Crown to Samsung Last Year
By Aabha Rathee | January 24, 2013 6:16 AM EST
In what is some indication of changing demand trends, Samsung (SSNLF.PK) has passed . Samsung had come in at $16.7 billion for a 5.5 percent share.
Samsung is famously outselling in the U.S. at the same time, leading to the rapid growth in the company’s chip requirements.
chip sales fell 3 percent last year to $297.6 billion, according to Gartner. According to the data, six of the top 10 chip purchasers reduced spending on it last year because of the general slowdown in computer sales.
“In addition to a weak macroeconomic situation, a dramatic change in consumer demand contributed to a reduction in semiconductor demand in 2012,” IDC research Masatsune Yamaji wrote in the report. “The PC market still represented the largest sector for chip demand, but desktop and mobile PCs did not sell well, as consumers’ interest shifted to new mobile computing devices like smartphones and media tablets.”
Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ), which came in third overall, cut semiconductor expenditures by 13 percent to $14 billion, while fourth-placed Dell (NASDAQ:DELL) reduced spending by a similar percentage to $8.6 billion. Sony (NYSE:SNE) was up in fifth place from eighth after growing spending 1.9 percent to $7.9 billion. Nokia (NYSE:NKE) fell the most, with demand from the Finnish handset maker dropping as much as 42.6 percent to 1.7 percent of the global share at $5 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers