Volkswagen joins other carmakers in new Spain investments
By Robert Hetz | January 24, 2013 4:21 AM EST
German carmaker Volkswagen
Spain's government has applauded the new investments, saying they are the result of a labour market reform that makes the country more competitive for businesses and also makes it cheaper for companies to hire and fire employees.
Nissan <7201.T>, however, said last week that it was cancelling plans to expand production of a new model in Spain after it failed to reach an agreement with union workers over new contract terms. Nissan said Spain was missing out on 4,000 new jobs and a 130-million-euro investment.
"A large part of the 785 million euros investment will go to prepare installations for manufacturing the next generations of Polo and its substitute in the future," Volkswagen said in a statement.
The Volkswagen plant outside Pamplona in the region of Navarra has a production capacity of 1,400 cars a day and employs 4,600 people.
(Reporting by Robert Hetz; Writing by Fiona Ortiz; Editing by Tracy Rucinski)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed