China: Domestic Violence Victim Li Yan to be Executed for Murder
By Hannah Osborne | January 24, 2013 2:58 AM EST
A Chinese woman who killed her husband after a year after suffering severe domestic violence is to be executed.
Li Yan stabbed her husband Tan Yong to death in 2010 when his violence made her snap. Among his abusive acts, Tan cut off one of her fingers and stubbed cigarettes out on her face.
Li reported the abuse to police several times and begged for protection but they took no action.
The couple were married in 2009 and before long, Tan began assaulting her. He would beat her regularly and lock her outside during the freezing Sichuan winter with little clothing.
Li was sentenced to the death penalty in August 2011 and she is due to be executed before early February, after her execution was approved by the Supreme People's Court in Beijing.
Her case has sparked demands for clemency from human rights groups.
Roseann Rife, head of the East Asia region for Amnesty International, said: "Justice is not served by executing Li Yan. Amnesty International calls upon the Chinese authorities to commute her death sentence to a term of imprisonment."
Police took pictures of Li's injuries after one beating which resulted in her being admitted to hospital.
"Had the Chinese authorities protected Li, as they are required to under international law, this tragic outcome could have been avoided. Li's claims should have been properly investigated and her husband prosecuted before she resorted to violence herself," Rife said.
Amnesty claimed that judges in Li's trial did not take evidence of the sustained abuse she suffered into account, including witness testimonies.
"Victims of domestic violence should not have to live in fear and isolation," Rife added. "The Chinese authorities are obliged to prevent violence against women, including by their husbands, and to properly investigate all claims and prosecute those responsible. They need to address this issue urgently and provide proper support and protection."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots