Australian Priest, 80, Bites off Fellow Clergyman’s Ear in Parking Row
By Umberto Bacchi | January 24, 2013 12:30 AM EST
An 80-year-old former Australian Catholic priest is to plead guilty to assault after he bit off a fellow clergyman's ear during a row over a parking spot.
Thomas Byrne appeared before Perth magistrates court where his lawyer, Seamus Rafferty, told the judge that his client would plead guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm.
Rafferty was given an adjournment to seek more information in the case, the West Australian reported.
In November, Byrne attacked his neighbour, Fr Thomas Smith, 81, at their retirement home in the Perth suburb of Dianella, when a row broke out over a parking space.
After they calmed down, Byrne reportedly told Smith to pick up something he had lost during the brief scuffle. That something turned out to be a part of Smith's ear, the court heard, but he did not realise that until he got back to his room and took the object out of his pocket.
Byrne was granted bail and ordered not go within 30ft of Smith, even though they live in the same building.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation