Beyoncé Slammed for Lip-Synching Obama Inauguration National Anthem
By Toyin Owoseje | January 23, 2013 11:27 PM EST
Beyoncé has sparked controversy after reports claimed that she lip-synched her way through the national anthem at the US presidential inauguration.
The Single Ladies hitmaker, who performed at Obama's first inauguration in 2009, hit the stage for the second time to sing Star Spangled Banner to mark Barack Obama's second term of office. She was accompanied by the US Marines band.
But Queen B quickly found herself at the centre of a media storm after a spokeswoman for the band claimed that she had "decided to go with the pre-recorded music at the last minute".
"We don't know why Beyoncé decided to use pre-recorded music," the source told the Washingtonian blog. "All music [for inaugural ceremonies] is pre-recorded as a matter of course and that's something we've done for years and years," the spokesperson added.
But the Marine Corps soon backtracked and Capt Gregory Wolf insisted: "Regarding Ms Knowles-Carter's vocal performance, no-one in the Marines band is in a position to assess whether it was live or pre-recorded."
One critic tweeted: "Kelly Clarkson performance was live and she sung under the same conditions as Bey and delivered. This is not a good look. She must have had a sore throat!
Piers Morgan said: "Beyonce still sang it, everyone. It was her voice."
Beyoncé's performance at the inauguration received mixed reviews with some critics claiming it was "not as good a Whitney's" 1991 rendition at the Superbowl in Tampa, Florida.
One fan said: "She has a powerhouse voice but nowhere near Whitney Houston's rendition. They should just put the record of Whitney Houston singing it and leave it be," said one.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0