Analysts raise Google price targets after strong results
January 23, 2013 11:21 PM EST
Google Inc's stronger-than-expected results triggered a rush of stock price target upgrades on Wednesday, with several analysts saying the company was well placed to generate higher revenue from mobile advertisements in the longer term.
Shares of the world's largest internet search company were set to open 5 percent higher on the Nasdaq.
At least seven brokerages raised their price targets on Google Inc's stock, which has risen about 15 percent in the last six months to close at $702.87 on Tuesday when the company reported its fourth-quarter results.
"As the business continues to shift toward mobile and advertisers think holistically about clicks rather than about which devices they're coming from ... the Street will as well, and that bodes well for Google," J.P. Morgan Securities analyst Doug Anmuth said in a note to clients.
Average cost-per-click, a metric that measures the price advertisers pay Google, declined 6 percent in the quarter from a year earlier, but this was an improvement over the third quarter's 15 percent slide.
J.P. Morgan was the most bullish, raising its target by $58 to $860.
Google shares touched a high of $759.43 in October, but have retreated since on worries about slow advertising growth and losses at its Motorola business.
Excluding traffic-acquisition costs, Google's core internet business generated net revenue of $9.83 billion, up from $8.13 billion a year earlier. That surpassed a $9.6 billion average forecast from six analysts polled by Reuters.
(Reporting by Neha Alawadhi in Bangalore; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide