Analysts raise Google price targets after strong results
January 23, 2013 11:21 PM EST
Google Inc's stronger-than-expected results triggered a rush of stock price target upgrades on Wednesday, with several analysts saying the company was well placed to generate higher revenue from mobile advertisements in the longer term.
Shares of the world's largest internet search company were set to open 5 percent higher on the Nasdaq.
At least seven brokerages raised their price targets on Google Inc's stock, which has risen about 15 percent in the last six months to close at $702.87 on Tuesday when the company reported its fourth-quarter results.
"As the business continues to shift toward mobile and advertisers think holistically about clicks rather than about which devices they're coming from ... the Street will as well, and that bodes well for Google," J.P. Morgan Securities analyst Doug Anmuth said in a note to clients.
Average cost-per-click, a metric that measures the price advertisers pay Google, declined 6 percent in the quarter from a year earlier, but this was an improvement over the third quarter's 15 percent slide.
J.P. Morgan was the most bullish, raising its target by $58 to $860.
Google shares touched a high of $759.43 in October, but have retreated since on worries about slow advertising growth and losses at its Motorola business.
Excluding traffic-acquisition costs, Google's core internet business generated net revenue of $9.83 billion, up from $8.13 billion a year earlier. That surpassed a $9.6 billion average forecast from six analysts polled by Reuters.
(Reporting by Neha Alawadhi in Bangalore; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase