Yanga-Mbiwa Not a Replacement for Coloccini at Newcastle
By Nick Howson | January 23, 2013 11:00 PM EST
Newcastle United skipper Fabricio Coloccini is seeking a conclusion to the confusion over his long-term future at St James' Park; according to father and San Lorenzo youth coach Osvaldo Coloccini.
Coloccini wants a return to Argentina due to personal reasons, while The Magpies are hoping to delay his departure until the end of the season, with the club currently in the midst of relegation battle in the Premier League.
Former side San Lorenzo are hoping to capitalise on Coloccini's desire to return to his homeland, and father Osvaldo says his son is eager to make a swift exit from Newcastle.
Coloccini senior said: "Fabricio is very anxious, he wants a resolution.
"I think that it's the moment for him to return to San Lorenzo. We want him to come back.
"In the last few hours, Newcastle have bought a defender but that means nothing because they were looking for an option in that position anyway.
"At Newcastle they are telling him to wait until May but the thing is that I don't know if San Lorenzo are going to be able to wait until then."
San Lorenzo manager Bernanrdo Romeo added: "We need a central defender. We are waiting.
"Let's have faith in that the transfer will be done, otherwise we will have to go out and look for another central defender."
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joined Newcastle from Montpellier on Tuesday but such has been Coloccini's influence since joining the north-east side in 2008, his loss would be a significant blow to Alan Pardew's hopes of dragging the club away from the relegation zone.
The Toon after currently 16th in the Premier League, two points above the drop zone and face fellow relegation candidates Aston Villa next week in a potentially pivotal encounter.
Pardew is also looking to tie up a deal for Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko to help bolster the club's midfield, which is currently without Cheick Tiote due to his participation in the African Nations Cup.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies