Nexus 4 users are in for a double-treat as yet another Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update is available through latest Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Build 2 ROM. Just a few days ago, the build 1 of AOKP ROM was rolled out for Google's flagship smartphone.
The latest AOKP Build 2 ROM brings a host of new features for the Nexus 4 including Booting Animation enhancements, Lockscreen and Navigation Bar updates, and Powerkey shutter enhancement for the camera.
Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 2 ROM Features
Here is the complete list of new features ported into the AOKP Build 2 ROM:
o Boot animation picker enhancements
o Colorable clock views/widgets
- Option to hide initial page hints
- Start lockscreen with minimized challenge
- Longpress on minimized challenge to unlock
- Carousel animation
- Navigation Bar
- Colorable NavBar background
- Recents menu opens with lightning speed
- Alternative signal layout (GB-style)
- New toggle: Sound state (ring/vib/silent)
- Mobile technology indicator reflects internet connection status
- Call statistics - Phone app / local menu
- Hiding page hints in the locksreen does not work if the carousel animation is active.
- Recents RAM Bar may not update correctly.
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 2 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Google Nexus 4 only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone and ensure the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later). Otherwise, go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the phone is factory unlocked and not locked a specific carrier.
- Verify that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if your damage or brick your device in the process of installing this firmware. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Update on Nexus 4 with AOKP Build 2 ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 2 ROM and Google Apps for Nexus 4 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Nexus 4 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Without extracting, copy AOKP ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off the phone. Now, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into Bootloader mode.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Choose Bootloader option and progress into Recovery.
Step 7 - In CWM recovery, perform full-data-wipe first. Then browse to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 9 - Now, use volume keys to navigate to AOKP ROM zip file that you copied earlier in step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 10 - After the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and tap Reboot System Now in the Recovery Menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot might take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Nexus 4 is now updated to Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: