Galaxy S2 I9100 Gets Android
4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XWLS8 Official Firmware
Recently, IBTimes UK shared a step-by-step guide to update Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) based Avatar custom ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100. Now, Samsung has rolled out the latest official Jelly Bean update for the device via Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 firmware. The official firmware is now available for select European countries including the UK, both as Over-The-Air (OTA) update and through Samsung KIES.
However, users residing outside the selected countries can now download and install the same manually using this guide. The installation of this firmware requires the use of ODIN flash tool on any international variant of Galaxy S2 (I9100).
Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 Official Firmware Details:
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
New Features of Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 Firmware
Here is the complete list of new features available in this ROM:
- Butter-Smooth performance and great stability (thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen with many customization options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S3)
- Free50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar with more Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- XWLS8 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the international variant - Galaxy S2 I9100 - model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device model number and proceed
- Backup important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S2 phone on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Ensure that the phone is factory unlocked and not locked to any specific carrier.
- As this is an official firmware, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the Jelly Bean update. It is essential to root the device again to regain full system access, and be able to install root-based apps, custom ROMs and third-party system tweaks on the phone.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only, and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the XWLS8 official firmware. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 Official Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9100XWLS8 official firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85, which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together and then simultaneously hit Power button till the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Tap the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the device is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' button and select file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the 'Phone' button and choose file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the 'CSC' button and choose file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now, hit the Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It will take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware is installed, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Users may also check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 Jelly Bean Official Firmware.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: