Australian Open 2013: Murray Makes Semi-Finals, Serena Williams Suffers Shock Defeat
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 23, 2013 8:46 PM EST
Third seed Andy Murray has progressed into the semi-final of the 2013 Australian Open with an easy win over unseeded Frenchman Jeremy Chardy. Britain's No 1 booked his place in the last four of the first Grand Slam of the season with a 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 win over Chardy and the London Olympics 2012 gold medalist has yet to drop a set in Melbourne. Murray will now face the winner of the quarter-final between Roger Federer  and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga .
"I will do an ice bath now ... and hope that Roger and Jo play for four or five hours or as long as possible. Today was the best I've played here. I've struggled in the last few rounds a little bit ... Jeremy has had a great tournament - he's beaten some top players. I had to come out sharp and get off to a good start," Murray said after the game.
Elsewhere in the men's singles draw, Serbian and world No 1 Novak Djokovic set up an enticing semi-final with comeback king David Ferrer  of Spain. Djokovic scythed through fifth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic on Tuesday, winning 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Meanwhile, also on Tuesday, Ferrer outlasted compatriot Nicolas Almagro  in a five-set thriller, winning the decider 6-2.
In the women's singles competition, five time former champion Serena William provided the shock of the tournament so far, after the 31-year-old former world No 1 was upstaged by 19-year-old compatriot Sloane Stephens. The teenager beat Great Britain's Laura Robson in the third round and has had a fantastic tournament so far. She beat Williams 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, to set up a dream meeting with world No 1 Victoria Azarenka. The Belarusian top seed waltzed past Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first match of the day, winning, 7-5, 6-1.
"She played really well throughout the whole match. I know what kind of tennis she is capable of and in the beginning it took a little bit of adjustment because she has a very different game. I am glad I could produce my best tennis when it was needed," the Belarusian said after the game.
Meanwhile, the second semi-final is to be contested by another former world No 1 - Maria Sharapova. The 25-year-old Russian, the holder of a career Grand Slam, has been as imperious as Azarenka so far this tournament and wasted no time in dismantling compatriot Ekaterina Makarova  6-2, 6-2. Sharapova will face China's Na Li , the 2011 French Open champion, after she upset fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland in straight sets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet