Indian Telcos Review Call Rates; Shares Surge after Hike
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 23, 2013 8:30 PM EST
According to reports, Bharti Airtel's call rates have gone up from ₹1 per minute to ₹2 per minute. It has also cut down on free call minutes by 10-25 percent and increased prices of tariff vouchers by ₹5 to ₹15 for prepaid customers.
"We have been reiterating that increase in prices is inevitable, which is reflected from the fact that despite rising costs, tariffs have been falling over the past 12 quarters," Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
The Economic Times reported that the constant revision of call rates suggest the return of pricing power to the telecommunication sector. Earlier in January telecom companies like Airtel and Vodafone had announced a hike in 2G data services which they claimed is for the betterment of the industry.
"This nominal price revision is subject to rate elasticity, customer demand and supporting cost structures. Our recent revision...is an increase of only 2-3 paise per MB. It continues to be an excellent value proposition for our customers," an Airtel spokesperson had said, according to The Economic Times.
Other service providers like Vodafone and Idea Cellular are also planning a similar kind of move. Idea Cellular has withdrawn its promotional offers while Vodafone has made changes in various data plans.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India will take a call on the revision of call rates in the coming days, reported The Economic Times.
Meanwhile, Bharti Airtel's shares surged 4 percent on the National Stock Exchange after the announcement of increased voice call charges. Idea and Reliance Communications Ltd gained 3 percent and 4 percent, respectively, but dropped later in day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate