Indian Telcos Review Call Rates; Shares Surge after Hike
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 23, 2013 8:30 PM EST
According to reports, Bharti Airtel's call rates have gone up from ₹1 per minute to ₹2 per minute. It has also cut down on free call minutes by 10-25 percent and increased prices of tariff vouchers by ₹5 to ₹15 for prepaid customers.
"We have been reiterating that increase in prices is inevitable, which is reflected from the fact that despite rising costs, tariffs have been falling over the past 12 quarters," Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
The Economic Times reported that the constant revision of call rates suggest the return of pricing power to the telecommunication sector. Earlier in January telecom companies like Airtel and Vodafone had announced a hike in 2G data services which they claimed is for the betterment of the industry.
"This nominal price revision is subject to rate elasticity, customer demand and supporting cost structures. Our recent revision...is an increase of only 2-3 paise per MB. It continues to be an excellent value proposition for our customers," an Airtel spokesperson had said, according to The Economic Times.
Other service providers like Vodafone and Idea Cellular are also planning a similar kind of move. Idea Cellular has withdrawn its promotional offers while Vodafone has made changes in various data plans.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India will take a call on the revision of call rates in the coming days, reported The Economic Times.
Meanwhile, Bharti Airtel's shares surged 4 percent on the National Stock Exchange after the announcement of increased voice call charges. Idea and Reliance Communications Ltd gained 3 percent and 4 percent, respectively, but dropped later in day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions