TUI AG Shares Tumble After TUI Travel Merger Ruled Out
By Shane Croucher | January 23, 2013 7:36 PM EST
TUI AG shares tumbled in early trading after the German travel and tourism giant said it would not make an offer to takeover FTSE 100-listed firm TUI Travel, in which it already holds a majority stake.
TUI Travel, Europe's largest tour operator which was formed by the merger of First Choice Holidays PLC and the travel division of TUI AG, had said that it was approached by its largest shareholder with the possibility of merging the two firms.
"This decision is based on the assessment that a share-based transaction at current exchange ratios is not in the interest of TUI shareholders," said a statement on TUI AG's website.
"Irrespective of this, TUI AG will continue fully to exercise its role as majority shareholder in order to leverage the value potential and benefits within the TUI Group for the benefit of all shareholders and other stakeholders of TUI AG."
At 09:17 CET, TUI AG shares had fallen by more than 4 percent to 7.65 cents on the Frankfurt stock exchange.
In London, TUI Travel shares had also slumped, down by almost 4 percent to 280.90 pence.
UK market rules dictate that because of TUI AG's statement it may not launch a takeover bid within six months of its announcement.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans