TUI AG Shares Tumble After TUI Travel Merger Ruled Out
By Shane Croucher | January 23, 2013 7:36 PM EST
TUI AG shares tumbled in early trading after the German travel and tourism giant said it would not make an offer to takeover FTSE 100-listed firm TUI Travel, in which it already holds a majority stake.
TUI Travel, Europe's largest tour operator which was formed by the merger of First Choice Holidays PLC and the travel division of TUI AG, had said that it was approached by its largest shareholder with the possibility of merging the two firms.
"This decision is based on the assessment that a share-based transaction at current exchange ratios is not in the interest of TUI shareholders," said a statement on TUI AG's website.
"Irrespective of this, TUI AG will continue fully to exercise its role as majority shareholder in order to leverage the value potential and benefits within the TUI Group for the benefit of all shareholders and other stakeholders of TUI AG."
At 09:17 CET, TUI AG shares had fallen by more than 4 percent to 7.65 cents on the Frankfurt stock exchange.
In London, TUI Travel shares had also slumped, down by almost 4 percent to 280.90 pence.
UK market rules dictate that because of TUI AG's statement it may not launch a takeover bid within six months of its announcement.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide