TUI AG Shares Tumble After TUI Travel Merger Ruled Out
By Shane Croucher | January 23, 2013 7:36 PM EST
TUI AG shares tumbled in early trading after the German travel and tourism giant said it would not make an offer to takeover FTSE 100-listed firm TUI Travel, in which it already holds a majority stake.
TUI Travel, Europe's largest tour operator which was formed by the merger of First Choice Holidays PLC and the travel division of TUI AG, had said that it was approached by its largest shareholder with the possibility of merging the two firms.
"This decision is based on the assessment that a share-based transaction at current exchange ratios is not in the interest of TUI shareholders," said a statement on TUI AG's website.
"Irrespective of this, TUI AG will continue fully to exercise its role as majority shareholder in order to leverage the value potential and benefits within the TUI Group for the benefit of all shareholders and other stakeholders of TUI AG."
At 09:17 CET, TUI AG shares had fallen by more than 4 percent to 7.65 cents on the Frankfurt stock exchange.
In London, TUI Travel shares had also slumped, down by almost 4 percent to 280.90 pence.
UK market rules dictate that because of TUI AG's statement it may not launch a takeover bid within six months of its announcement.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan