Missing Indian Student Souvik Pal Found Dead in British Canal
By Ankita Mehta | January 23, 2013 6:24 PM EST
The body of an 18-year-old Indian boy, who went missing since New Year's Eve, has been found in a canal near Old Trafford football stadium in the UK.
Greater Manchester specialist officers on Tuesday recovered Souvik Pal's body from the Bridgewater Canal near the football ground at around at 2 pm (local time14:00 GMT). The body was found three weeks after he went missing in Manchester.
Police said the post-mortem on the body is yet to take place.
Special trained officers have informed Souvik's family about the incident and are in regular touch with them. Police have offered condolences to the family and ruled out any suspicious circumstances in his death.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with Souvik's family at this devastating time and our officers are doing all they can to support them," Detective Chief Inspector Colin Larkin said in a statement.
"We do not believe there are any suspicious circumstances surrounding Souvik's death and a file will be submitted to the Coroner in due course," he added.
His father, Santanu Pal, travelled from Bangalore to the UK to help police in the search for his son. Last week, Home Affairs Select Committee chairman Keith Vaz met Santanu in connection with the case.
"I have spoken to Mr Pal and we are all aware of these developments, the last 22 days have been so difficult for him. I want to thank the police for their continued hard work on this case, everyone has done so much," said the labour MP, BBC reported.
Souvik, a student of Manchester Metropolitan University, was last seen at the Warehouse Project in South Manchester at around 11 pm (23:00 GMT) on the night of Dec 31. His flatmate reported him missing the next morning at around 5.30 am.
Souvik had enrolled himself at the Metropolitan University located in North West England for a product design course.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related