Google Nexus 7 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Which Small Tablet is Better?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | January 23, 2013 12:57 PM EST
Korea's tech giant Samsung is set to release a smaller tablet if rumours are to be believed.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is like the middle brother or Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 10.1. The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is speculated to sport an 8-inch touch panel since smaller tablets are quite popular. Samsung seemed to be banking on the popularity of Note 2 and entering the smaller tablet category.
Two of the exciting features of the tablet are that it will be equipped with the latest 4.2 Jelly Bean OS and will also have the S-Pen stylus.
According to Samsung-centric website SamMobile, the new tablet will pack an LCD display with 1280x800 pixel resolution and 5 megapixels rear camera and 1.3 megapixels at the front. Other specs include 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage supported with microSD card slot for additional storage capacity, and a powerful 4,600 mAh battery.
If rumours proved to be true, Samsung will battle head on with Google's Nexus 7 in the smaller tablet category.
Last year, Google introduced its affordable yet powerful tablet, Nexus 7. Google Nexus 7 sports a quad-core Tegra 3 processor backed by 1GB of RAM and with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at the helm. This entry-level version of the Nexus 7 with 8GB of storage was discontinued by Google last month and has since been replaced with the newer 16GB version with a tag price of $299 available in Google Play Store.
Consumers will have more options when it comes to mini tablet. Below is the comparison of the two small tablets.
Screen Display - Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will sport an 8-inch LCD or Super AMOLED screen display with 1280x800 pixel resolution. Google Nexus 7, on the other hand, sport a 7-inch LCD screen display.
Processor - It is still unconfirmed if the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will sport the new eight core processor Exynos 5 or the old quad core Exynos 4 processor paired with 2GB of RAM. Google Nexus 7 is powered by quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor with 1GB RAM.
Operating System - Rumour has it that Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will come with the latest 4.2 Jelly Bean OS. Google Nexus 7 was originally released Androidv4.1 Jelly Bean and was upgraded to the 4.2 version.
Internal Storage - Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is speculated to have up to 32GB of internal storage supported with microSD card slot for additional storage capacity. Google Nexus 7 is available in 16GB and 32GB of internal storage.
Camera - Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is rumoured to have 5 megapixels rear camera and 1.3 megapixels at the front. Google Nexus 7 comes with 1.2MP front camera.
Battery - Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is supposed to come with a powerful 4,600 mAh battery. Google Nexus 7 is packed with 4325 mAh battery.
Samsung VP JK Shin confirmed that Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will make its debut next month at the MWC event. Google Nexus 7 is available for purchase in Google Play Store.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots