Samsung Galaxy 4: Latest Galaxy S Smartphone Upends Release in Q2 2013
By Erik Pineda | January 23, 2013 12:53 PM EST
Samsung is said to be planning a Q2 2013 release of its latest high-end smartphone, which blog reports suggest will largely assume most of its rumoured specs save for the brand name Galaxy S4.
According to SamMobile, the S4 will likely end up with a different name. It turned out that the number 4 for Koreans signals bad omen. To be sure, Samsung would not want to offset what appears as another blockbuster release for the Asian tech giant.
It appears that CNET is supportive of this assertion, the tech site pointing to the gallery of Samsung smartphones, in which the number 4 is prominently skipped out.
It is unclear, however, if the supposed bad luck is connected only to the specific numeric representation or the whole Korean belief totally rejects the very meaning of number 4 and all its depictions, including the Roman term IV.
If that is the case, Samsung would likely opt for a different moniker but will stick with the Galaxy S series, which is the same brand name that supported the tech firm's fierce skirmishes with bitter rival Apple.
At any rate, Samsung seems all geared up for another round of battle royale with its industry rival by letting another handset that broadly meets the imagination of smartphone users worldwide, SamMobile reported.
Indications are solid that the South Korean will preview the Galaxy S4 on March 22 via the exclusive Samsung Mobile Unpacked 2013, according to Korean news publication Asian Economies.
While the date of the event has been set, the venue remains a mystery. Blog reports suggest that Seoul, London and New York are in strong consideration by Samsung executives.
By launch time, the world will see in S4 the following: an Exynos 5 Octa (8-Core) CPU, Mali-T658 (8-Core) GPU, 4.99-inch Super AMOLED Full HD Resolution Display, 2GB of RAM, 13MPl rear-facing camera capable of shooting 1080p Full HD videos at 30FPS, 2MP front-facing camera capable of shooting 720p HD videos.
The latest Galaxy handset will be powered by JellyBean 4.2.1 but the most notable addition is its wireless charging capability, taking after the feature introduced on Nokia Lumia 920 and Google Nexus 4 last year.
This particular S4 offering, however, is optional, SamMobile said. Samsung will reportedly sell a separate charging dock and special back cover for the handset a few weeks after its April 15 commercial availability.
This kit is designed to facilitate wire-free recharging on the S4's 2100mAh battery. It will be offered in black and white, matching the colours that the upcoming Samsung handsets will be deployed with.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal