Australian Dollar Outlook - 23 January 2013
By Christine Gaylican | January 23, 2013 10:21 AM EST
Australia: The currency market expected to see the Japanese announce further fiscal stimulus measures yesterday and they were not disappointed with further asset purchases of 13trn JPY (USD13bn) each month to begin in January, 2014.
The delay to the start of the program saw the JPY initially strengthen against the USD. The central bank also announced their new inflation target was 2% (currently 1%).
The AUD jumped quickly after this event and has maintained its strength overnight as US equity markets continued to move higher as 2012 results continue to exceed most analysts' estimates.
After the close of the market further positive impetus was provided when Google and IBM reported higher results than predicted.
Today at 11:30 am ADT we will see the announcement of the Q4 CPI result (a figure of 0.4% and 2.4%yoy is widely forecast) followed by the announcement of China's leading economic indicators early this afternoon.
Majors: In Europe the tone was in general positive after the German ZEW economic survey for January was up strongly rising to 31.5 which is up from 6.9 the previous month.
This was in contrast to a generally modestly down day on equity markets in Europe as 11 Euro countries (Germany and France are included) discussed a new tax on financial transactions designed to raise potentially EUR50bn in revenue. Being discussed was a tax of 0.1% on share and bond transactions and 0.01% on derivatives.
The GBP was weaker after the Bank of England Governor said the central bank was ready to provide further stimulus to help bolster the UK
In the US existing home sales for December were lower than expected (they fell by 1%) but the recent firmer tone in housing market in
the US remains. The manufacturing index for Federal Reserve district centred around Richmond, Virginia fell sharply this month from the December result.
23 JAN AU Q4 CPI
AU Q4 avg RBA core inflation
EU Jan consumer confidence
UK Bank of England meeting minutes
For latest pricing and ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Housing Affordability Improves: Toronto, Vancouver Properties Most Pricey
- New Zealand PM John Key Dismisses 'Dirty Politics' Issue in TV Debate, Outshines David Cunliffe
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Malaysia And Australia Agree To Split MH 370 Search Costs
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide