Luke Bracey, Barnaby Joyce, Ian Thorpe: Why are They on Top in 2013
By Gilda Galang | January 23, 2013 10:00 AM EST
It's a new year to break into the scene, whether in politics, sports, or even the music industry.
Here are some fellow Australians to watch out for, who may be on their way to making it big in their specific fields this 2013.
City Calm Down
After devoting three years of their musical career creating Movements, City Calm Down has created one of the most upscale and explosive records from down under.
Beat magazine reports that it's also, in part, thanks to the band's producer, Malcolm Besley, who have brought his experience with Snakadaktal and Gold Fields to create a mature voice and sound to Movements.
The AU Review lists City Calm Down as one of the Australian bands to watch out for in 2013, as they show off their musical prowess side by side with the High Highs as they play on the Laneway Festival tour around Australia.
Barcelona is all set for the 15th FINA World Championships, from July 19 to Aug 4, and five-time Olympic gold medalist Ian Thorpe has been hitting the pools in hard training for a real comeback this time, reports News.com.
Since the middle of 2012, he has been training hard and toughening up to make it to the Australian swim team, reports BBC, a goal that he hopes to accomplish after the failure at the London 2012 Olympics.
This year is a potential make or break for Thorpe, because he may be facing younger competition, and he has yet to overcome the 50.35-second record he achieved in the 100 m lap at the Olympics trials in March, according to News.com.
Senator Barnaby Joyce
Outspoken to both his rivals and fellow peers, Senator Barnaby Joyce has been making headlines for some of his campaigns. News.com reported that Senator Joyce has made it the LNP's agenda the use of yellowcake as a means of starting nuclear power in Australia.
It doesn't stop there as the Tamworth native has always been reported to clash with colleagues when it comes to different aspects of government, reports ABC. He has been appointed as the finance spokesman by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, as well as the Leader of the Nationals in the Senate.
After her split with singer Justin Beiber, Selena Gomez has been making headlines for holding hands with a certain young and upcoming Australia actor, Luke Bracey.
US Magazine even reported that Gomez was intimately sharing with Bracey the details of the fight she had with Beiber during a New Year getaway in Mexico.
People will remember Bracey as Gomez's co-star in her Disney movie Monte Carlo where he played the love interest of Gomez's fellow actress Leighton Meester, but it seems that the year is ripe for future possibilities between him and the female lead of Wizards of Waverly Place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports