Womb for Rent: Harvard Scientist Seeks Womb for Ancient Neanderthal DNA
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 23, 2013 9:05 AM EST
Fifteen minutes of fame awaits an adventurous woman willing to lend her womb for scientific purposes. George Church, a genetics professor at Harvard School of Medicine, is seeking for that woman to create the first Neanderthal baby from DNA extracted from ancient fossils.
Mr Church told the German magazine Der Spiegel that he has gathered enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the Neanderthals, a human species that became extinct 33,000 years ago.
With a willing human female surrogate, Mr Church plans to introduce parts of the Neanderthal genome to human stem cells and clone them to create a foetus which will then be implanted in the woman.
He is one of the scientists behind the Human Genome Project and is well respected in the field of genetics.
One of the reasons why he wanted to come up with a Neanderthal baby is based on his theory that Neanderthals may think different than present human beings due to their larger cranial size which could mean they may have higher intelligence.
He added their way of thinking may become beneficial when the time comes for the world to deal with an epidemic or to leave the planet, but his main aim is to increase diversity.
However, Mr Church said there is little chance to recreate old human species or dinosaurs since the age limit of useful DNA is about one million years.
In 2009, scientists cloned an extinct subspecies of an ibex, but it died immediately. Other savants, however, pointed out that for every successful clone like Dolly the sheep, there are several failures. In the case of Dolly, there were other unsuccessful cloned sheep embryos.
Those that do survive to term often suffer from health problems due to copying errors in their DNAs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO With Changing Colours Sighted By Lower Paxton Township Police In Pennsylvania
- Musician Tom DeLonge Encounters Multiple UFOs in San Diego
- Groundbreaking Discovery of New Monuments at the Stonehenge: The Mystery of the Stonehenge Could be Solved
- A Study on Drugs Restoring Extra Synapses in Brain Can Cure Autism
- British Scientists Solve the Mystery of the Himalayan Yeti
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements