Gold and Silver Receive Boost from Currency War Shots
January 23, 2013 7:12 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $6.20 to settle at $1,693.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 25 cents to close at $32.18.
Both precious metals showed strength as the Bank of Japan fires more shots in the global currency war. The central bank doubled its inflation target to 2 percent and made a commitment to start open-ended monetary easing next year. The BOJ has been under pressure from new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for stronger monetary actions. Seven of the nine board members voted for the new inflation target.
Starting in 2014, the BOJ will purchase 13 trillion yen in assets each month, including 2 trillion yen in long-term government bonds and 10 trillion yen in treasury discount bills.
In a statement, the bank explains, “The BOJ will pursue powerful monetary easing by maintaining virtually zero interest rates and purchases of assets as long as it deems appropriate.” The decision echoes the moves made by other central banks such as the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.55 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 1.35 percent. Gold miners such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) surged 2.45 percent and 5.05 percent, respectively. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) both gained more than 1 percent.
Copyright Gold Alert All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools