Gold and Silver Receive Boost from Currency War Shots
January 23, 2013 7:12 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $6.20 to settle at $1,693.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 25 cents to close at $32.18.
Both precious metals showed strength as the Bank of Japan fires more shots in the global currency war. The central bank doubled its inflation target to 2 percent and made a commitment to start open-ended monetary easing next year. The BOJ has been under pressure from new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for stronger monetary actions. Seven of the nine board members voted for the new inflation target.
Starting in 2014, the BOJ will purchase 13 trillion yen in assets each month, including 2 trillion yen in long-term government bonds and 10 trillion yen in treasury discount bills.
In a statement, the bank explains, “The BOJ will pursue powerful monetary easing by maintaining virtually zero interest rates and purchases of assets as long as it deems appropriate.” The decision echoes the moves made by other central banks such as the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.55 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 1.35 percent. Gold miners such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) surged 2.45 percent and 5.05 percent, respectively. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) both gained more than 1 percent.
Copyright Gold Alert All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists