Gold and Silver Receive Boost from Currency War Shots
January 23, 2013 7:12 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $6.20 to settle at $1,693.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 25 cents to close at $32.18.
Both precious metals showed strength as the Bank of Japan fires more shots in the global currency war. The central bank doubled its inflation target to 2 percent and made a commitment to start open-ended monetary easing next year. The BOJ has been under pressure from new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for stronger monetary actions. Seven of the nine board members voted for the new inflation target.
Starting in 2014, the BOJ will purchase 13 trillion yen in assets each month, including 2 trillion yen in long-term government bonds and 10 trillion yen in treasury discount bills.
In a statement, the bank explains, “The BOJ will pursue powerful monetary easing by maintaining virtually zero interest rates and purchases of assets as long as it deems appropriate.” The decision echoes the moves made by other central banks such as the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.55 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 1.35 percent. Gold miners such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) surged 2.45 percent and 5.05 percent, respectively. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) both gained more than 1 percent.
Copyright Gold Alert All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying