Metals Close at 5-Week Highs, XAU Jumps 2.0%
By jturbin | January 23, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Precious metals added to their recent stretch of gains on Tuesday amid widespread strength in commodities and moderate weakness in the U.S. dollar.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – rose by $6.20, or 0.4%, to $1,693.20 per ounce – their highest closing level since mid-December. Silver futures for March delivery at the COMEX advanced by $0.39, or 1.2%, to $32.33 per ounce – also a five-week high.
The rally in precious metals helped propel most gold and silver mining stocks into positive territory, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) jumped by 2.0% to 164.63 in afternoon trading. Notable advancers included XAU components Eldorado Gold (EGO), Silver Wheaton (SLW), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of EGO climbed by 2.5% to $13.15, SLW by 2.4% to $37.16, and AUY by 5.1% to $18.22.
Among other precious metals, platinum futures added 1.4% to $1,698.10 per ounce while palladium rose by 0.6% to $726.90 per ounce. As for widely-traded cyclical commodities, copper futures advanced 0.7% to $3.71 per pound while crude oil tacked on 0.8% to $96.81 per barrel.
In the currency markets, the U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) dipped by 0.2% to 79.869 while the euro inched up by 0.1% to 1.3315 against the dollar.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display