Metals Close at 5-Week Highs, XAU Jumps 2.0%
By jturbin | January 23, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Precious metals added to their recent stretch of gains on Tuesday amid widespread strength in commodities and moderate weakness in the U.S. dollar.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – rose by $6.20, or 0.4%, to $1,693.20 per ounce – their highest closing level since mid-December. Silver futures for March delivery at the COMEX advanced by $0.39, or 1.2%, to $32.33 per ounce – also a five-week high.
The rally in precious metals helped propel most gold and silver mining stocks into positive territory, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) jumped by 2.0% to 164.63 in afternoon trading. Notable advancers included XAU components Eldorado Gold (EGO), Silver Wheaton (SLW), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of EGO climbed by 2.5% to $13.15, SLW by 2.4% to $37.16, and AUY by 5.1% to $18.22.
Among other precious metals, platinum futures added 1.4% to $1,698.10 per ounce while palladium rose by 0.6% to $726.90 per ounce. As for widely-traded cyclical commodities, copper futures advanced 0.7% to $3.71 per pound while crude oil tacked on 0.8% to $96.81 per barrel.
In the currency markets, the U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) dipped by 0.2% to 79.869 while the euro inched up by 0.1% to 1.3315 against the dollar.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October