Metals Close at 5-Week Highs, XAU Jumps 2.0%
By jturbin | January 23, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Precious metals added to their recent stretch of gains on Tuesday amid widespread strength in commodities and moderate weakness in the U.S. dollar.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – rose by $6.20, or 0.4%, to $1,693.20 per ounce – their highest closing level since mid-December. Silver futures for March delivery at the COMEX advanced by $0.39, or 1.2%, to $32.33 per ounce – also a five-week high.
The rally in precious metals helped propel most gold and silver mining stocks into positive territory, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) jumped by 2.0% to 164.63 in afternoon trading. Notable advancers included XAU components Eldorado Gold (EGO), Silver Wheaton (SLW), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of EGO climbed by 2.5% to $13.15, SLW by 2.4% to $37.16, and AUY by 5.1% to $18.22.
Among other precious metals, platinum futures added 1.4% to $1,698.10 per ounce while palladium rose by 0.6% to $726.90 per ounce. As for widely-traded cyclical commodities, copper futures advanced 0.7% to $3.71 per pound while crude oil tacked on 0.8% to $96.81 per barrel.
In the currency markets, the U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) dipped by 0.2% to 79.869 while the euro inched up by 0.1% to 1.3315 against the dollar.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown