Metals Close at 5-Week Highs, XAU Jumps 2.0%
By jturbin | January 23, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Precious metals added to their recent stretch of gains on Tuesday amid widespread strength in commodities and moderate weakness in the U.S. dollar.
COMEX gold futures – per the February contract – rose by $6.20, or 0.4%, to $1,693.20 per ounce – their highest closing level since mid-December. Silver futures for March delivery at the COMEX advanced by $0.39, or 1.2%, to $32.33 per ounce – also a five-week high.
The rally in precious metals helped propel most gold and silver mining stocks into positive territory, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) jumped by 2.0% to 164.63 in afternoon trading. Notable advancers included XAU components Eldorado Gold (EGO), Silver Wheaton (SLW), and Yamana Gold (AUY). Shares of EGO climbed by 2.5% to $13.15, SLW by 2.4% to $37.16, and AUY by 5.1% to $18.22.
Among other precious metals, platinum futures added 1.4% to $1,698.10 per ounce while palladium rose by 0.6% to $726.90 per ounce. As for widely-traded cyclical commodities, copper futures advanced 0.7% to $3.71 per pound while crude oil tacked on 0.8% to $96.81 per barrel.
In the currency markets, the U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) dipped by 0.2% to 79.869 while the euro inched up by 0.1% to 1.3315 against the dollar.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports