Wal-Mart Prepares For Canadian Arrival Of Competitor Target With Aggressive 2013 Expansion
By Angelo Young | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) will invest $453 million to expand its Canadian branch, Walmart Canada, in 2013, opening 37 supercenters and bolstering its distribution network as its primary competitor, Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT) plans to open as many as 125 stores by the end of this year.
The move by the Bentonville, Ark., company will increase its retail space by 1.4 million square feet. The world's largest retailer also said the expansion will add about 7,000 "store, trade and construction" jobs.
The move anticipates the arrival in Canada of Wal-Mart's primary competitor, Target, which will open its doors in the Great White North sometime next month, the company has said.
Walmart Canada says it will end January with 379 stores, including 209 of its larger outlets. The company is opening nine stores simultaneously in Canada on Friday. Last year the company opened or refurbished 79 outlets, including 39 locations that were bought from privately held Canadian merchandise chain Zellers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff