Wal-Mart Prepares For Canadian Arrival Of Competitor Target With Aggressive 2013 Expansion
By Angelo Young | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) will invest $453 million to expand its Canadian branch, Walmart Canada, in 2013, opening 37 supercenters and bolstering its distribution network as its primary competitor, Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT) plans to open as many as 125 stores by the end of this year.
The move by the Bentonville, Ark., company will increase its retail space by 1.4 million square feet. The world's largest retailer also said the expansion will add about 7,000 "store, trade and construction" jobs.
The move anticipates the arrival in Canada of Wal-Mart's primary competitor, Target, which will open its doors in the Great White North sometime next month, the company has said.
Walmart Canada says it will end January with 379 stores, including 209 of its larger outlets. The company is opening nine stores simultaneously in Canada on Friday. Last year the company opened or refurbished 79 outlets, including 39 locations that were bought from privately held Canadian merchandise chain Zellers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier