Wal-Mart Prepares For Canadian Arrival Of Competitor Target With Aggressive 2013 Expansion
By Angelo Young | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) will invest $453 million to expand its Canadian branch, Walmart Canada, in 2013, opening 37 supercenters and bolstering its distribution network as its primary competitor, Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT) plans to open as many as 125 stores by the end of this year.
The move by the Bentonville, Ark., company will increase its retail space by 1.4 million square feet. The world's largest retailer also said the expansion will add about 7,000 "store, trade and construction" jobs.
The move anticipates the arrival in Canada of Wal-Mart's primary competitor, Target, which will open its doors in the Great White North sometime next month, the company has said.
Walmart Canada says it will end January with 379 stores, including 209 of its larger outlets. The company is opening nine stores simultaneously in Canada on Friday. Last year the company opened or refurbished 79 outlets, including 39 locations that were bought from privately held Canadian merchandise chain Zellers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers