Wal-Mart Prepares For Canadian Arrival Of Competitor Target With Aggressive 2013 Expansion
By Angelo Young | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) will invest $453 million to expand its Canadian branch, Walmart Canada, in 2013, opening 37 supercenters and bolstering its distribution network as its primary competitor, Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT) plans to open as many as 125 stores by the end of this year.
The move by the Bentonville, Ark., company will increase its retail space by 1.4 million square feet. The world's largest retailer also said the expansion will add about 7,000 "store, trade and construction" jobs.
The move anticipates the arrival in Canada of Wal-Mart's primary competitor, Target, which will open its doors in the Great White North sometime next month, the company has said.
Walmart Canada says it will end January with 379 stores, including 209 of its larger outlets. The company is opening nine stores simultaneously in Canada on Friday. Last year the company opened or refurbished 79 outlets, including 39 locations that were bought from privately held Canadian merchandise chain Zellers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga