Robert Pires: Arsenal Fans Should Relax and Trust Striker To Score
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Robert Pires has argued that in time Olivier Giroud will show Arsenal that he is an integral member of the starting line-up, with the Frenchman currently displaying inconsistent form as the Gunners struggle to push for a top four spot.
The new year hasn't brought much success for Wenger's squad so far, with the club only boasting one win in the FA Cup, with two draws and two losses otherwise.
Giroud made a slow start for the side when he made the move to the Emirates in the summer, but after a run of five goals in five games around the start of November, it appeared that he had finally settled into the Arsenal set up.
Since November 17th, he has scored twice, bringing some to question whether he will be yet another disappointing recent up-front signing by Wenger. But Pires believes that more patience is needed before coming to a verdict.
"The people need to give Olivier time," he said, according to Metro.
"I know he is a good player. It is very difficult to adapt from French football and everyone needs time, even Thierry [Henry] did in the first half of his first season at the club. I would tell supporters to relax: Olivier will score goals."
Giroud was brought in to eventually be part of a replacement plan for the outgoing Robin van Persie, and Arsenal have dearly missed the Dutchman's lethal nature in front of goal as he scores the winner time and time again for current table-leaders Manchester United.
With Wenger often taking the brunt of the criticism from fans for letting players like van Persie go, some have argued that he needs to call time on his managerial career at Arsenal as the side stare down the barrel of another season without a trophy.
But Pires still believes in the manager to make the best of a financially tight situation and bring the best out of his players.
"For me, I always believe in Wenger,' he said. "Everyone knows the task is to qualify for the Champions League again next season. The team has been too inconsistent this season to do much more.
"Against Manchester City recently it was very difficult and against Swansea a few days later.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports