Robert Pires: Arsenal Fans Should Relax and Trust Striker To Score
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Robert Pires has argued that in time Olivier Giroud will show Arsenal that he is an integral member of the starting line-up, with the Frenchman currently displaying inconsistent form as the Gunners struggle to push for a top four spot.
The new year hasn't brought much success for Wenger's squad so far, with the club only boasting one win in the FA Cup, with two draws and two losses otherwise.
Giroud made a slow start for the side when he made the move to the Emirates in the summer, but after a run of five goals in five games around the start of November, it appeared that he had finally settled into the Arsenal set up.
Since November 17th, he has scored twice, bringing some to question whether he will be yet another disappointing recent up-front signing by Wenger. But Pires believes that more patience is needed before coming to a verdict.
"The people need to give Olivier time," he said, according to Metro.
"I know he is a good player. It is very difficult to adapt from French football and everyone needs time, even Thierry [Henry] did in the first half of his first season at the club. I would tell supporters to relax: Olivier will score goals."
Giroud was brought in to eventually be part of a replacement plan for the outgoing Robin van Persie, and Arsenal have dearly missed the Dutchman's lethal nature in front of goal as he scores the winner time and time again for current table-leaders Manchester United.
With Wenger often taking the brunt of the criticism from fans for letting players like van Persie go, some have argued that he needs to call time on his managerial career at Arsenal as the side stare down the barrel of another season without a trophy.
But Pires still believes in the manager to make the best of a financially tight situation and bring the best out of his players.
"For me, I always believe in Wenger,' he said. "Everyone knows the task is to qualify for the Champions League again next season. The team has been too inconsistent this season to do much more.
"Against Manchester City recently it was very difficult and against Swansea a few days later.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’