Tottenham Chasing £10m Liverpool Striker Target – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Tottenham are currently in pursuit of Celtic striker and Liverpool target Gary Hooper, according to reports, with Metro claiming the club are hoping to take advantage of the situation surrounding his contract standoff.
Hooper is currently in talks with Celtic which would see the hitman's pay increase significantly, but the club has so far been unable to come to an agreement with the 24 year old.
Liverpool have been connected with the star on many occasions since he joined the Scottish giants in 2010, but now Tottenham are reportedly hopeful that they can meet Celtic's evaluation of Hooper and bring him to White Hart Lane to increase their attacking options.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, but the race for a Champions League spot will no doubt become tighter as the season hits the business end.
And while in past seasons Tottenham have found their squad has tired as the end of their campaign rolls around - last year they came very close to finishing above Arsenal but the last few months undid the progress they had made over their rivals - this time Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy are desperate for the pattern not to repeat itself.
With that in mind, building more depth in the striker department could only help the north London club as they aim to keep their Champions League place, and Hooper would certainly be an asset to any club if his performances for Celtic are anything to go by.
The £10m-rated man has so far scored 19 times in 30 appearances, and this was part of the reason that Liverpool also saw him as a good option as they looked for an up-front option.
But the Reds found solace in Daniel Sturridge, who made the move to Merseyside from Chelsea at the start of the month. And should Tottenham be able to offer Hooper the wages he craves at Celtic, a move to a top Premier League club could be on the cards for the Englishman as well.
Norwich were also believed to be interested, but had a £5 million bid turned down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How