Tottenham Chasing £10m Liverpool Striker Target – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Tottenham are currently in pursuit of Celtic striker and Liverpool target Gary Hooper, according to reports, with Metro claiming the club are hoping to take advantage of the situation surrounding his contract standoff.
Hooper is currently in talks with Celtic which would see the hitman's pay increase significantly, but the club has so far been unable to come to an agreement with the 24 year old.
Liverpool have been connected with the star on many occasions since he joined the Scottish giants in 2010, but now Tottenham are reportedly hopeful that they can meet Celtic's evaluation of Hooper and bring him to White Hart Lane to increase their attacking options.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, but the race for a Champions League spot will no doubt become tighter as the season hits the business end.
And while in past seasons Tottenham have found their squad has tired as the end of their campaign rolls around - last year they came very close to finishing above Arsenal but the last few months undid the progress they had made over their rivals - this time Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy are desperate for the pattern not to repeat itself.
With that in mind, building more depth in the striker department could only help the north London club as they aim to keep their Champions League place, and Hooper would certainly be an asset to any club if his performances for Celtic are anything to go by.
The £10m-rated man has so far scored 19 times in 30 appearances, and this was part of the reason that Liverpool also saw him as a good option as they looked for an up-front option.
But the Reds found solace in Daniel Sturridge, who made the move to Merseyside from Chelsea at the start of the month. And should Tottenham be able to offer Hooper the wages he craves at Celtic, a move to a top Premier League club could be on the cards for the Englishman as well.
Norwich were also believed to be interested, but had a £5 million bid turned down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects