Tottenham Chasing £10m Liverpool Striker Target – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Tottenham are currently in pursuit of Celtic striker and Liverpool target Gary Hooper, according to reports, with Metro claiming the club are hoping to take advantage of the situation surrounding his contract standoff.
Hooper is currently in talks with Celtic which would see the hitman's pay increase significantly, but the club has so far been unable to come to an agreement with the 24 year old.
Liverpool have been connected with the star on many occasions since he joined the Scottish giants in 2010, but now Tottenham are reportedly hopeful that they can meet Celtic's evaluation of Hooper and bring him to White Hart Lane to increase their attacking options.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, but the race for a Champions League spot will no doubt become tighter as the season hits the business end.
And while in past seasons Tottenham have found their squad has tired as the end of their campaign rolls around - last year they came very close to finishing above Arsenal but the last few months undid the progress they had made over their rivals - this time Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy are desperate for the pattern not to repeat itself.
With that in mind, building more depth in the striker department could only help the north London club as they aim to keep their Champions League place, and Hooper would certainly be an asset to any club if his performances for Celtic are anything to go by.
The £10m-rated man has so far scored 19 times in 30 appearances, and this was part of the reason that Liverpool also saw him as a good option as they looked for an up-front option.
But the Reds found solace in Daniel Sturridge, who made the move to Merseyside from Chelsea at the start of the month. And should Tottenham be able to offer Hooper the wages he craves at Celtic, a move to a top Premier League club could be on the cards for the Englishman as well.
Norwich were also believed to be interested, but had a £5 million bid turned down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced