Tottenham Chasing £10m Liverpool Striker Target – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Tottenham are currently in pursuit of Celtic striker and Liverpool target Gary Hooper, according to reports, with Metro claiming the club are hoping to take advantage of the situation surrounding his contract standoff.
Hooper is currently in talks with Celtic which would see the hitman's pay increase significantly, but the club has so far been unable to come to an agreement with the 24 year old.
Liverpool have been connected with the star on many occasions since he joined the Scottish giants in 2010, but now Tottenham are reportedly hopeful that they can meet Celtic's evaluation of Hooper and bring him to White Hart Lane to increase their attacking options.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, but the race for a Champions League spot will no doubt become tighter as the season hits the business end.
And while in past seasons Tottenham have found their squad has tired as the end of their campaign rolls around - last year they came very close to finishing above Arsenal but the last few months undid the progress they had made over their rivals - this time Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy are desperate for the pattern not to repeat itself.
With that in mind, building more depth in the striker department could only help the north London club as they aim to keep their Champions League place, and Hooper would certainly be an asset to any club if his performances for Celtic are anything to go by.
The £10m-rated man has so far scored 19 times in 30 appearances, and this was part of the reason that Liverpool also saw him as a good option as they looked for an up-front option.
But the Reds found solace in Daniel Sturridge, who made the move to Merseyside from Chelsea at the start of the month. And should Tottenham be able to offer Hooper the wages he craves at Celtic, a move to a top Premier League club could be on the cards for the Englishman as well.
Norwich were also believed to be interested, but had a £5 million bid turned down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS