Tottenham Chasing £10m Liverpool Striker Target – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 23, 2013 5:51 AM EST
Tottenham are currently in pursuit of Celtic striker and Liverpool target Gary Hooper, according to reports, with Metro claiming the club are hoping to take advantage of the situation surrounding his contract standoff.
Hooper is currently in talks with Celtic which would see the hitman's pay increase significantly, but the club has so far been unable to come to an agreement with the 24 year old.
Liverpool have been connected with the star on many occasions since he joined the Scottish giants in 2010, but now Tottenham are reportedly hopeful that they can meet Celtic's evaluation of Hooper and bring him to White Hart Lane to increase their attacking options.
Spurs are currently fourth in the table, but the race for a Champions League spot will no doubt become tighter as the season hits the business end.
And while in past seasons Tottenham have found their squad has tired as the end of their campaign rolls around - last year they came very close to finishing above Arsenal but the last few months undid the progress they had made over their rivals - this time Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy are desperate for the pattern not to repeat itself.
With that in mind, building more depth in the striker department could only help the north London club as they aim to keep their Champions League place, and Hooper would certainly be an asset to any club if his performances for Celtic are anything to go by.
The £10m-rated man has so far scored 19 times in 30 appearances, and this was part of the reason that Liverpool also saw him as a good option as they looked for an up-front option.
But the Reds found solace in Daniel Sturridge, who made the move to Merseyside from Chelsea at the start of the month. And should Tottenham be able to offer Hooper the wages he craves at Celtic, a move to a top Premier League club could be on the cards for the Englishman as well.
Norwich were also believed to be interested, but had a £5 million bid turned down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
- Splint-Free Rafael Nadal in Intense Practice for US Open Campaign
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display