BBC Legend David Attenborough Labels People a 'Plague'
By Dominic Gover | January 23, 2013 4:19 AM EST
National TV treasure David Attenborough has turned prophet of doom by calling humanity "a plague."
He warned in the latest issue of The Radio Times that mother nature shall unleash catasphrophic disasters unless the human race changed its behaviour to slow down population growth.
"We are a plague on the earth," warned the presenter of BBC documentary series such as Africa.
"It's coming home to roost in the next 50 years or so. It's not just climate change, its sheer space, places to grow food for this enormous horde."
Attenborough is famous for getting up close to wildlife and cuddling gorillas, but he doesn't seem to have much affection for the human race.
According to statistics from the United States, the world population could explode to 16bn by the year 2100, Attenborough believes drastic action is needed to avert such an explosion.
"Either we limit our population growth or the natural world will do it for us and the natural world is doing it for us right now," said Attenborough.
"We keep putting on programmes about famine in Ethiopia, that's what's happening; too many people there. They can't support themselves and it's not an inhuman thing to say. It's the case.
"Until humanity manages to sort itself out and get a co-ordinate view about the planet it's going to get worse and worse."
Every year, 134 million people are born around the world, compared to 56 million deaths. The number of people on the planet has grown steeply since the 1950s during a population boom.
Attenborough has long been worried about the impact it could have upon the natural world. Indeed he joined the Optimum Population Trust in 2009.
It campaigns for an annual fall in UK population by a quarter of one percent, and brands any belief that the growing human population can always be supported by the planet as a "silent lie".
Optimum Population has also launched a campaign calling for families to stop breeding at two children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar