Violinist Vanessa-Mae Aims to Ski for Thailand at 2014 Winter Olympics
By Ewan Palmer | January 23, 2013 12:54 AM EST
Violinist Vannesa-Mae is putting her musical career on hold while she attempts to qualify as a skier for the Thai national team at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Mae, 34, revealed she will take a break from music for a year while she takes part in at least five internationally recognised events, in order to qualify to compete in several slalom events at the games in Sochi, Russia in February 2014.
If she qualifies, Mae will be only the second Thai athlete to compete at the Winter Olympics following cross-country skier Prawat Nagvajara's participation at the 2002 Salt Lake City and 2006 Turin Games.
She said: "People are surprised when they see me skiing - a classical violinist, Oriental, who has lived in the city all her life.
"But it has been my dream to be a ski bum since I was 14. This is something I am determined to do."
The violinist, who began her professional music career at the age of 10, is a British citizen but also holds a Thai passport. She was born in Singapore to a Chinese mother and Thai father but was raised in England after her mother remarried.
"I wanted to compete for Thailand because there is a part of me which I have never celebrated - being Thai," Mae added. "My father, like most Thais, has never skied but he's really excited about me doing this as is the Thai Olympic Committee."
Mae has been practising at the Swiss ski resort of Zermatt for the past three years. She hopes to compete in her first qualifying event by April.
International Ski Federation spokeswoman Riikka Rakic confirmed Mae needs a minimum of five starts in Federation Internationale de Ski (FIS) competitions and to reach a certain number of points in order to qualify for next year's Winter Olympics.
Rakic also said the violinist was one of five Thai athletes registered for a chance to compete for Thailand at the Games.
Rakic said: "She has a full year to quality and there are many events so there are plenty of options."
Mae, who has not released an album since 2004, confirmed she does plan to return to music even if she succeeds in her Olympic goals. She added: "It's time for a new album but doing this will give me a new perspective.
"Living my dream of being a ski bum is great but the best job in the world is being on stage, making music.
"When it comes to music I am a perfectionist but when it is skiing, I have no delusions about a podium or even being in the top 100 in the world.
"Of course there is a risk that I could break something but life is short and you have to go for it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports