Delhi Gang Rape: Another Accused Claims to be Juvenile
By drishya Nair | January 22, 2013 11:47 PM EST
Another accused in the Delhi gangrape case has claimed that he is a minor and has demanded a bone ossification test.
The trial for the case began on Monday and one of the accused Vinay Sharma's lawyer AP Singh moved an application for the age confirmation test before the fast-track court.
The application claims that his school leaving certificate, which was used to establish his age, is wrong.
"The boy's mother has said that the school certificate that records his date of birth as March 1994 is wrong and they had deliberately given an older age to the school so that the boy could be enrolled a year early," Singh was quoted as saying outside the court by the Indian Express.
According to Sharma's Lawyer, the accused was under 18 years of age when he committed the crime and hence should be tried in a Juvenile court.
Sharma, who was working as an assistant gym instructor before getting arrested in the case is the second among the six accused to have filed such an application. Another accused had made a similar claim but his actual age is yet to be established.
Doctors have stated earlier that a bone ossification test, although is reasonably accurate for adults above 22 years of age, is not an accurate estimate of age.
The application has sparked debate whether juveniles accused of such heinous crimes should be provided exemptions as the minor among the six accused was the most brutal during the crime. Not only did he rape the 23-year-old medical student twice, but also grievously injured her by inserting a rod inside her body and taking out her intestine with his bare hands. The victim died 13 days later on 29 December at a hospital in Singapore where she was being treated.
The crime took place on the night of December 16 when the woman was returning after watching a movie along with her male friend who was also brutally beaten during the crime. The woman and her male companion were later thrown out if the bus with hardly any clothes on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar