Delhi Gang Rape: Another Accused Claims to be Juvenile
By drishya Nair | January 22, 2013 11:47 PM EST
Another accused in the Delhi gangrape case has claimed that he is a minor and has demanded a bone ossification test.
The trial for the case began on Monday and one of the accused Vinay Sharma's lawyer AP Singh moved an application for the age confirmation test before the fast-track court.
The application claims that his school leaving certificate, which was used to establish his age, is wrong.
"The boy's mother has said that the school certificate that records his date of birth as March 1994 is wrong and they had deliberately given an older age to the school so that the boy could be enrolled a year early," Singh was quoted as saying outside the court by the Indian Express.
According to Sharma's Lawyer, the accused was under 18 years of age when he committed the crime and hence should be tried in a Juvenile court.
Sharma, who was working as an assistant gym instructor before getting arrested in the case is the second among the six accused to have filed such an application. Another accused had made a similar claim but his actual age is yet to be established.
Doctors have stated earlier that a bone ossification test, although is reasonably accurate for adults above 22 years of age, is not an accurate estimate of age.
The application has sparked debate whether juveniles accused of such heinous crimes should be provided exemptions as the minor among the six accused was the most brutal during the crime. Not only did he rape the 23-year-old medical student twice, but also grievously injured her by inserting a rod inside her body and taking out her intestine with his bare hands. The victim died 13 days later on 29 December at a hospital in Singapore where she was being treated.
The crime took place on the night of December 16 when the woman was returning after watching a movie along with her male friend who was also brutally beaten during the crime. The woman and her male companion were later thrown out if the bus with hardly any clothes on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report