Australian Open 2013: Djokovic and Sharapova Enter Semi-Finals
By Vishnuprasad S | January 22, 2013 10:57 PM EST
World number one and defending champion Novak Djokovic booked his place in the semi-finals of the Australian Open, with a four-set victory over fifth seed Tomas Berdych.
The Serb showed no signs of fatigue from his five-hour encounter with Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in the previous round and overcame a slip in the second set to beat his Czech Republic opponent 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
"It was a great performance. I was hoping to have a shorter match, and not to go over 5 hours this time. It was always going to be tough against Tomas, he is an established top 10 player with a big serve and I came out and played my best tennis," Djokovic told BBC.
Also through is, fourth seed David Ferrer, who came back from two sets down to oust fellow Spaniard and 10th Nicolas Almagro in an epic quarter-final battle. The 30-year-old won the match 6-4, 6-4, 5-7, 6-7(4), 2-6 in three hours and 44 minutes and will now face Djokovic, who he thinks is the favourite for the title
"Nole is a special player, he has every shot. I think he will be recovered, for sure, because he is physically unbelievable. He's the best, I think. He's the number one of the world and the favourite to win the Australian Open for me. I will have to play better than today for to win, for sure," Ferrer said.
In women's singles, world number two Maria Sharapova of Russia advanced to the semi-finals, courtesy of a 6-2, 6-2 victory over compatriot and 19th seed Ekaterina Makarova. The former Australian Open champion took just over an hour to set up a meeting with sixth seed Li Na of China, who prevailed over world number four Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 7-5, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, have crashed out of the women's doubles after losing to Italian duo Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the quarter-finals, 3-6, 7-6(1), 7-5.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid