Australian Open 2013: Djokovic and Sharapova Enter Semi-Finals
By Vishnuprasad S | January 22, 2013 10:57 PM EST
World number one and defending champion Novak Djokovic booked his place in the semi-finals of the Australian Open, with a four-set victory over fifth seed Tomas Berdych.
The Serb showed no signs of fatigue from his five-hour encounter with Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in the previous round and overcame a slip in the second set to beat his Czech Republic opponent 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
"It was a great performance. I was hoping to have a shorter match, and not to go over 5 hours this time. It was always going to be tough against Tomas, he is an established top 10 player with a big serve and I came out and played my best tennis," Djokovic told BBC.
Also through is, fourth seed David Ferrer, who came back from two sets down to oust fellow Spaniard and 10th Nicolas Almagro in an epic quarter-final battle. The 30-year-old won the match 6-4, 6-4, 5-7, 6-7(4), 2-6 in three hours and 44 minutes and will now face Djokovic, who he thinks is the favourite for the title
"Nole is a special player, he has every shot. I think he will be recovered, for sure, because he is physically unbelievable. He's the best, I think. He's the number one of the world and the favourite to win the Australian Open for me. I will have to play better than today for to win, for sure," Ferrer said.
In women's singles, world number two Maria Sharapova of Russia advanced to the semi-finals, courtesy of a 6-2, 6-2 victory over compatriot and 19th seed Ekaterina Makarova. The former Australian Open champion took just over an hour to set up a meeting with sixth seed Li Na of China, who prevailed over world number four Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 7-5, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, have crashed out of the women's doubles after losing to Italian duo Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the quarter-finals, 3-6, 7-6(1), 7-5.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan