CBI factory order balance falls in Jan
January 22, 2013 10:35 PM EST
British factory orders fell unexpectedly in January, the CBI's industrial trends survey showed on Tuesday.
The Confederation of British Industry survey's total order book balance dropped to -20 this month from -12 in December, confounding expectations of a reading of -11.
"While domestic demand and business optimism have steadied, export demand remains a concern for manufacturers, with orders continuing to fall, albeit at a slower rate," said the CBI's head of economic analysis, Anna Leach.
"There are encouraging signs of stability in overall demand however, with domestic orders, export orders and production expected to rise in the quarter ahead."
Separate quarterly CBI data showed that the quarterly business situation balance rose to zero in January from -12 in October.
Earlier in the month, sluggish industry output data for November pointed to a fall in economic output in the last three months of 2012, and Tuesday's figures suggest 2013 got off to a weak start.
However, purchasing managers' data for December showed an unexpected rebound in factory activity as the PMI index hit a 15-month high.
(Reporting by Patrick Graham, writing by Olesya Dmitracova)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS