CBI factory order balance falls in Jan
January 22, 2013 10:35 PM EST
British factory orders fell unexpectedly in January, the CBI's industrial trends survey showed on Tuesday.
The Confederation of British Industry survey's total order book balance dropped to -20 this month from -12 in December, confounding expectations of a reading of -11.
"While domestic demand and business optimism have steadied, export demand remains a concern for manufacturers, with orders continuing to fall, albeit at a slower rate," said the CBI's head of economic analysis, Anna Leach.
"There are encouraging signs of stability in overall demand however, with domestic orders, export orders and production expected to rise in the quarter ahead."
Separate quarterly CBI data showed that the quarterly business situation balance rose to zero in January from -12 in October.
Earlier in the month, sluggish industry output data for November pointed to a fall in economic output in the last three months of 2012, and Tuesday's figures suggest 2013 got off to a weak start.
However, purchasing managers' data for December showed an unexpected rebound in factory activity as the PMI index hit a 15-month high.
(Reporting by Patrick Graham, writing by Olesya Dmitracova)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money