CBI factory order balance falls in Jan
January 22, 2013 10:35 PM EST
British factory orders fell unexpectedly in January, the CBI's industrial trends survey showed on Tuesday.
The Confederation of British Industry survey's total order book balance dropped to -20 this month from -12 in December, confounding expectations of a reading of -11.
"While domestic demand and business optimism have steadied, export demand remains a concern for manufacturers, with orders continuing to fall, albeit at a slower rate," said the CBI's head of economic analysis, Anna Leach.
"There are encouraging signs of stability in overall demand however, with domestic orders, export orders and production expected to rise in the quarter ahead."
Separate quarterly CBI data showed that the quarterly business situation balance rose to zero in January from -12 in October.
Earlier in the month, sluggish industry output data for November pointed to a fall in economic output in the last three months of 2012, and Tuesday's figures suggest 2013 got off to a weak start.
However, purchasing managers' data for December showed an unexpected rebound in factory activity as the PMI index hit a 15-month high.
(Reporting by Patrick Graham, writing by Olesya Dmitracova)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report