Ex-Corrie Star Sophiya Haque’s Partner Reveals How She Kept Performing Despite Cancer
By drishya Nair | January 22, 2013 10:26 PM EST
The partner of the late West End and Coronation Street star Sophiya Haque has spoken in public for the first time since her death from cancer last week.
Music director David White, 51, spoke of his shock at the speed of Haque's deterioration, and revealed the couple had only just completed their dream boathouse on the Basingstoke Canal in Surrey.
"We managed to spend a few precious nights on the boat together before she went to hospital," White told the London Evening Standard.
Haque, 41, was only diagnosed with cancer in December. White revealed that his partner of six years had previously been "extremely fit and healthy", but began suffering tremendous backache and abdominal pain, prompting the visit to the doctor which culminated in her diagnosis.
Haque continued to perform in the West End musical Privates on Parade until 22 December, and was admitted to hospital as recently as 2 January.
White revealed that his partner "had that 'show must go on' mentality", adding that her condition deteriorated rapidly after her final performance three days before Christmas.
"We hit this awful situation around Christmas and New Year when everything is closed, so we didn't get a doctor's appointment until January 2, and we were told to go straight to hospital," he said.
Doctors who treated Haque believe the cancer may have been grown for months internally without any symptoms.
"She was having huge trouble breathing while she was in hospital. Apparently a blood clot could have been thrown up into her lung. Her heart was beating very fast to try and get oxygen into her system," White said.
"It became harder for her to breathe and she blacked out. A few minutes later her heart stopped. It was not something I expected that day. It was a terrible shock."
Although it is still unclear exactly which cancer Haque suffered from, White said the doctors believe it might have been ovarian cancer, as there were hardly any symptoms until just before her death. He continued:
"The second set of results came back inconclusive the day after she died. I still want to know what the cancer was, although I am coming to terms with the fact that nothing is going to bring her back
"Life with Sophiya was absolutely wonderful. She was the most amazing person to live with. It was a life full of laughter and joy,"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Nude Lady Gaga Turns Greek Goddess In A Sea Shell Bra And Pair Of Thongs: Shares Racy Photos From Her Bathroom
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order