Ex-Corrie Star Sophiya Haque’s Partner Reveals How She Kept Performing Despite Cancer
By drishya Nair | January 22, 2013 10:26 PM EST
The partner of the late West End and Coronation Street star Sophiya Haque has spoken in public for the first time since her death from cancer last week.
Music director David White, 51, spoke of his shock at the speed of Haque's deterioration, and revealed the couple had only just completed their dream boathouse on the Basingstoke Canal in Surrey.
"We managed to spend a few precious nights on the boat together before she went to hospital," White told the London Evening Standard.
Haque, 41, was only diagnosed with cancer in December. White revealed that his partner of six years had previously been "extremely fit and healthy", but began suffering tremendous backache and abdominal pain, prompting the visit to the doctor which culminated in her diagnosis.
Haque continued to perform in the West End musical Privates on Parade until 22 December, and was admitted to hospital as recently as 2 January.
White revealed that his partner "had that 'show must go on' mentality", adding that her condition deteriorated rapidly after her final performance three days before Christmas.
"We hit this awful situation around Christmas and New Year when everything is closed, so we didn't get a doctor's appointment until January 2, and we were told to go straight to hospital," he said.
Doctors who treated Haque believe the cancer may have been grown for months internally without any symptoms.
"She was having huge trouble breathing while she was in hospital. Apparently a blood clot could have been thrown up into her lung. Her heart was beating very fast to try and get oxygen into her system," White said.
"It became harder for her to breathe and she blacked out. A few minutes later her heart stopped. It was not something I expected that day. It was a terrible shock."
Although it is still unclear exactly which cancer Haque suffered from, White said the doctors believe it might have been ovarian cancer, as there were hardly any symptoms until just before her death. He continued:
"The second set of results came back inconclusive the day after she died. I still want to know what the cancer was, although I am coming to terms with the fact that nothing is going to bring her back
"Life with Sophiya was absolutely wonderful. She was the most amazing person to live with. It was a life full of laughter and joy,"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage