Superstar Forward Could Have Gone To Barcelona Over United
By Vanessa Keller | January 22, 2013 10:25 PM EST
Barcelona's former president Joan Laporta claims that the club could have signed Cristiano Ronaldo before the star made his move to Manchester United, revealing the only reason he didn't go to Spain was that their budget was stretched to the limits at the time.
Ronaldo made the move to Old Trafford from Sporting CP in 2003, and the stint under Sir Alex Ferguson made him one of the biggest names in football, and the current record transfer fee holder as he made a £80m move to Real Madrid.
But Leporta says there were discussions for the forward to make the move to the Catalan giants who he now wreaks havoc against, with a cut price deal worked out that wasn't cheap enough to come into their budget.
"Mendes offered us Cristiano Ronaldo when he was still under contract with Sporting. We worked with Jorge quite a lot back then," he told Onda Cero.
"We could have got Ronaldo for a lower price than Manchester United eventually paid for him. However, we had just signed Ronaldinho, Ricardo Quaresma and Rafael Marquez, and we lacked the financial resources to make another signing."
Ronaldo's move to United was a big factor in the side's continued success throughout the 2000s, with the English giants amassing another Champions League win under Ferguson and continuing to challenge for titles.
But it could have been a very different story for both United, and Barcelona, if the then-17-year-old had in fact made the move to the Catalan city.
Leporta also revealed that he considered the prospect of signing Kaka, but decided to keep hold of their star signing Ronaldinho instead.
"We had dinner with Silvio Berlusconi and he proposed a player-exchange deal involving Kaka and Ronaldinho," he explained. "That was not an option for us, though, as Ronaldinho was a key player for us back then.
"It started out as a bit of a joke, but Berlusconi quickly turned serious. It's a real shame that Kaka has not really succeeded at Madrid. He was a fantastic player at AC Milan."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members