Opera’s New Browser 'Ice' for iOS, Android Slated for February Release [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 9:33 PM EST
Opera Software is reportedly prepping a new browser called 'Ice' for smartphones and tablets.
According to technology website Pocket-lint, the browser company will launch Ice in February. The website also posted a video of Opera's internal meeting in which the company demonstrated the new browser on an iPad.
"This is a full touch and tablet-focused browser," said Opera CEO Lars Boilesen in the video. "Most are taking a PC browser and squishing [it] into a tablet, or they are taking a mobile browser and blowing it up to fill the space."
Unlike the previous browsers from Opera the upcoming Ice browser will be based on the WebKit rendering engine which is used in Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari browsers.
"Opera mini is great, but it is not a fully-fledged offering like Chrome or Safari. There are too many sites it doesn't work with," said Boilesen.
However, the company will not throw out the current Opera Mini browser. Boilesen was also recorded saying that a desktop browser is also in the pipeline and would be unveiled in March.
"Mini is super important," Boilsen said adding, "It needs to be a platform where we create users and then migrate those users to over to our smartphone products."
The notable feature of the upcoming Ice browser is the gesture. The browser seemed to have got rid of the buttons for operations like navigating back and forth.
"It will ditch all buttons and instead use gestures to control key elements like forwards and backwards," Pocket-Lint reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight