Opera’s New Browser 'Ice' for iOS, Android Slated for February Release [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 9:33 PM EST
Opera Software is reportedly prepping a new browser called 'Ice' for smartphones and tablets.
According to technology website Pocket-lint, the browser company will launch Ice in February. The website also posted a video of Opera's internal meeting in which the company demonstrated the new browser on an iPad.
"This is a full touch and tablet-focused browser," said Opera CEO Lars Boilesen in the video. "Most are taking a PC browser and squishing [it] into a tablet, or they are taking a mobile browser and blowing it up to fill the space."
Unlike the previous browsers from Opera the upcoming Ice browser will be based on the WebKit rendering engine which is used in Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari browsers.
"Opera mini is great, but it is not a fully-fledged offering like Chrome or Safari. There are too many sites it doesn't work with," said Boilesen.
However, the company will not throw out the current Opera Mini browser. Boilesen was also recorded saying that a desktop browser is also in the pipeline and would be unveiled in March.
"Mini is super important," Boilsen said adding, "It needs to be a platform where we create users and then migrate those users to over to our smartphone products."
The notable feature of the upcoming Ice browser is the gesture. The browser seemed to have got rid of the buttons for operations like navigating back and forth.
"It will ditch all buttons and instead use gestures to control key elements like forwards and backwards," Pocket-Lint reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS