Opera’s New Browser 'Ice' for iOS, Android Slated for February Release [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 9:33 PM EST
Opera Software is reportedly prepping a new browser called 'Ice' for smartphones and tablets.
According to technology website Pocket-lint, the browser company will launch Ice in February. The website also posted a video of Opera's internal meeting in which the company demonstrated the new browser on an iPad.
"This is a full touch and tablet-focused browser," said Opera CEO Lars Boilesen in the video. "Most are taking a PC browser and squishing [it] into a tablet, or they are taking a mobile browser and blowing it up to fill the space."
Unlike the previous browsers from Opera the upcoming Ice browser will be based on the WebKit rendering engine which is used in Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari browsers.
"Opera mini is great, but it is not a fully-fledged offering like Chrome or Safari. There are too many sites it doesn't work with," said Boilesen.
However, the company will not throw out the current Opera Mini browser. Boilesen was also recorded saying that a desktop browser is also in the pipeline and would be unveiled in March.
"Mini is super important," Boilsen said adding, "It needs to be a platform where we create users and then migrate those users to over to our smartphone products."
The notable feature of the upcoming Ice browser is the gesture. The browser seemed to have got rid of the buttons for operations like navigating back and forth.
"It will ditch all buttons and instead use gestures to control key elements like forwards and backwards," Pocket-Lint reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage