Opera’s New Browser 'Ice' for iOS, Android Slated for February Release [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 9:33 PM EST
Opera Software is reportedly prepping a new browser called 'Ice' for smartphones and tablets.
According to technology website Pocket-lint, the browser company will launch Ice in February. The website also posted a video of Opera's internal meeting in which the company demonstrated the new browser on an iPad.
"This is a full touch and tablet-focused browser," said Opera CEO Lars Boilesen in the video. "Most are taking a PC browser and squishing [it] into a tablet, or they are taking a mobile browser and blowing it up to fill the space."
Unlike the previous browsers from Opera the upcoming Ice browser will be based on the WebKit rendering engine which is used in Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari browsers.
"Opera mini is great, but it is not a fully-fledged offering like Chrome or Safari. There are too many sites it doesn't work with," said Boilesen.
However, the company will not throw out the current Opera Mini browser. Boilesen was also recorded saying that a desktop browser is also in the pipeline and would be unveiled in March.
"Mini is super important," Boilsen said adding, "It needs to be a platform where we create users and then migrate those users to over to our smartphone products."
The notable feature of the upcoming Ice browser is the gesture. The browser seemed to have got rid of the buttons for operations like navigating back and forth.
"It will ditch all buttons and instead use gestures to control key elements like forwards and backwards," Pocket-Lint reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase