KDE updates Plasma Workspaces for Desktop and Netbook
By Tim Conneally | August 11, 2010 4:29 PM EST
KDE released a new version of Plasma Workspaces for Desktop and Netbook on Tuesday, the environment serves as the default workspace for more than twenty Linux distributions, including Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, and Slackware.
This version has received a handful of changes both in appearance and usability. The notification bar has been cleaned up and reworked, and the window manager KWin can now arrange windows on screen without overlapping. The Zooming User Interface (ZUI) from previous versions has been replaced by an "Activity Manager" which was integrated into KDE from the Nepomuk Semantic Desktop project.
Though there have been "substantial improvements" to Plasma Netbook, KDE Tuesday said many of the changes aren't immediately visible. However, they include everything from configurable panel icon sizes, easy panel configuration, better drag and drop in the Quick Launch widget, improvements in Dolphin, Konsole, and more.
In addition, KDE also launched KDE Development Platform 4.5 and KDE Applications 4.5 on Tuesday. As usual, they are all free to download, and can be obtained From KDE's download site immediately.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists