Sophie Schmidt Recounted North Korea Trip with Her Father, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt on a Blog
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 22, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Sophie Schmidt, the 19-year-old daughter of Google Chairman Eric Schmidt, recounted her "very cold and very strange" trip to North Korea. The teenager wrote down on a blog post entitled "It might not get weirder than this" all of her controversial experiences during the three-day North Korean trip in early January.
Former US Ambassador to the United Nations Bill Richardson led the delegation where Eric Schmidt took part and his teenager daughter accompanied him during the trip. Upon their return, Sophie Schmidt's informal blog gave out informative details about North Korea.
"Our trip was a mixture of highly-staged encounters, tightly-orchestrated viewings and what seemed like genuine human moments. We had zero interactions with non-state-approved North Koreans and were never far from our two minders," Schmidt wrote.
Sophie Schmidt even compared the regime's stage management and constant surveillance to the film "The Truman Show." In an encounter at the Kim Il-Sung University e-library, Schmidt noted one problem.
"No one was actually doing anything. A few scrolled or clicked but the rest just stared. More disturbing: when our group walked in, not one of them looked up from their desks. Not a head turn, no eye contact, no reaction to stimuli. They might as well have been figurines," Sophie Schmidt wrote.
Sophie Schmidt even noted down on the blog two helpful tips based on her entire North Korean experience.
1) Go to North Korea if you can. It is very, very strange.
2) If it is January, disregard the above. It is very, very cold.
Her blog post interestingly contains an image of a customs form that asks visitors to surrender any "killing devices" and "publishings of all kinds." Schmidt shared that the weather was "very, very cold" and the food is "solidly decent" with the people "unfailingly polite and engaging."
Meanwhile, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt confirmed the realism of his daughter's blog. He even published his personal blog as well in a more controlled detail on Google+.
While most of Schmidt's blog describes what first-time visitors can expect, it still discussed some interesting insights regarding the official purpose of the delegation's trip. According to Eric Schmidt, North Korea would not develop unless it embraces internet freedom which is a vision most observers usually dismiss as unimaginable.
"The technology in North Korea is very limited right now. As the world becomes increasingly connected, the North Korean decision to be virtually isolated is very much going to affect their physical world and their economic growth. It will make it harder for them to catch up economically," the Google Chairman wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report