Indian Shares Flat; Nifty Breaches 6100 level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon trading on Tuesday after reporting three consecutive sessions of gains.
The 30-share BSE Sensex and the 50-share NSE Nifty both advanced in early trade and touched their highest levels in more than two years before falling back in to the negative territory. The 30-share BSE Sensex hit a new two-year high of 20,155.55 before falling back to 20,094.84, and the 50-share NSE Nifty breached the 6,100 level before falling back to 6,079.65.
Among the 13 sectoral indices in BSE, all the sectors except banking were trading in negative territory. Consumer durable sector declined 1.03 percent and IT sector fell 0.57 percent while heavyweight banking sector rose 0.38 percent.
In banking sector, Kotak Mahindra Bank advanced 1.74 percent, Axis Bank gained 1.11 percent and ICICI Bank rose 1.04 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1140 advanced against 1473 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.11 percent to 7,147.57 and Smallcap Index fell 0.01 percent to 7,371.37. CNX midcap Index declined 0.28 percent and CNX IT fell 0.43 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were mixed after the Bank of Japan (BoJ) raised its inflation target and adopted an open-ended asset purchasing program at the end of its two-day policy meeting.
Japanese central bank on Tuesday raised the inflation target to 2 percent from 1 percent and also introduced an open-ended asset purchasing method as part of its aggressive monetary stimulus measures intended to revive the economic growth momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia