Indian Shares Flat; Nifty Breaches 6100 level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon trading on Tuesday after reporting three consecutive sessions of gains.
The 30-share BSE Sensex and the 50-share NSE Nifty both advanced in early trade and touched their highest levels in more than two years before falling back in to the negative territory. The 30-share BSE Sensex hit a new two-year high of 20,155.55 before falling back to 20,094.84, and the 50-share NSE Nifty breached the 6,100 level before falling back to 6,079.65.
Among the 13 sectoral indices in BSE, all the sectors except banking were trading in negative territory. Consumer durable sector declined 1.03 percent and IT sector fell 0.57 percent while heavyweight banking sector rose 0.38 percent.
In banking sector, Kotak Mahindra Bank advanced 1.74 percent, Axis Bank gained 1.11 percent and ICICI Bank rose 1.04 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1140 advanced against 1473 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.11 percent to 7,147.57 and Smallcap Index fell 0.01 percent to 7,371.37. CNX midcap Index declined 0.28 percent and CNX IT fell 0.43 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were mixed after the Bank of Japan (BoJ) raised its inflation target and adopted an open-ended asset purchasing program at the end of its two-day policy meeting.
Japanese central bank on Tuesday raised the inflation target to 2 percent from 1 percent and also introduced an open-ended asset purchasing method as part of its aggressive monetary stimulus measures intended to revive the economic growth momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]