Indian Shares Flat; Nifty Breaches 6100 level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon trading on Tuesday after reporting three consecutive sessions of gains.
The 30-share BSE Sensex and the 50-share NSE Nifty both advanced in early trade and touched their highest levels in more than two years before falling back in to the negative territory. The 30-share BSE Sensex hit a new two-year high of 20,155.55 before falling back to 20,094.84, and the 50-share NSE Nifty breached the 6,100 level before falling back to 6,079.65.
Among the 13 sectoral indices in BSE, all the sectors except banking were trading in negative territory. Consumer durable sector declined 1.03 percent and IT sector fell 0.57 percent while heavyweight banking sector rose 0.38 percent.
In banking sector, Kotak Mahindra Bank advanced 1.74 percent, Axis Bank gained 1.11 percent and ICICI Bank rose 1.04 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1140 advanced against 1473 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.11 percent to 7,147.57 and Smallcap Index fell 0.01 percent to 7,371.37. CNX midcap Index declined 0.28 percent and CNX IT fell 0.43 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were mixed after the Bank of Japan (BoJ) raised its inflation target and adopted an open-ended asset purchasing program at the end of its two-day policy meeting.
Japanese central bank on Tuesday raised the inflation target to 2 percent from 1 percent and also introduced an open-ended asset purchasing method as part of its aggressive monetary stimulus measures intended to revive the economic growth momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 100% Tuition-Free – Why Germany Is The Envy Of University Students From Other Countries
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday October 1, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning, October 2, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – October 2, 2014
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money