Indian Shares Flat; Nifty Breaches 6100 level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 22, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon trading on Tuesday after reporting three consecutive sessions of gains.
The 30-share BSE Sensex and the 50-share NSE Nifty both advanced in early trade and touched their highest levels in more than two years before falling back in to the negative territory. The 30-share BSE Sensex hit a new two-year high of 20,155.55 before falling back to 20,094.84, and the 50-share NSE Nifty breached the 6,100 level before falling back to 6,079.65.
Among the 13 sectoral indices in BSE, all the sectors except banking were trading in negative territory. Consumer durable sector declined 1.03 percent and IT sector fell 0.57 percent while heavyweight banking sector rose 0.38 percent.
In banking sector, Kotak Mahindra Bank advanced 1.74 percent, Axis Bank gained 1.11 percent and ICICI Bank rose 1.04 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1140 advanced against 1473 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.11 percent to 7,147.57 and Smallcap Index fell 0.01 percent to 7,371.37. CNX midcap Index declined 0.28 percent and CNX IT fell 0.43 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were mixed after the Bank of Japan (BoJ) raised its inflation target and adopted an open-ended asset purchasing program at the end of its two-day policy meeting.
Japanese central bank on Tuesday raised the inflation target to 2 percent from 1 percent and also introduced an open-ended asset purchasing method as part of its aggressive monetary stimulus measures intended to revive the economic growth momentum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen