Nokia Rolling Out Portico Update for Global Users of Lumia 920, Lumia 820
By Erik Pineda | January 22, 2013 6:51 PM EST
Nokia is gradually delivering the so-called Portico updates for international owners of the surprise-hit Lumia 920 some weeks after the same patch were made accessible to U.S.-based users of the Windows Phone 8 handset.
Citing details gleaned from the Nokia forum site, The Verge reported that the phased update process has started rolling out, reaching first specific users in Europe with other regions likely to follow soon.
The same report noted that Nokia is actually ahead of the scheduled Lumia 920 upgrade, leading to the possibility that the whole undertaking will see completion by middle of March 2013.
In a related news, the same Portico update is being quietly dispatched to Vodafone subscribers in Germany and Italy, kicking up the WP8 on Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 to build 8.0.10211.204, according to reports by WM Power User.
Sadly though, the process will skip out for now owners of unlocked 920s and 820s in the region. That means they would to wait a bit more before they enjoy the following WP8 enhancements, which were first brought to HTC Windows Phone 8X units in December 2012:
- SMS create designs
- Select all text for easy deletion
- Reject call with SMS
- New Wi-Fi settings (WLAN can be activated when the screen timeout)
- Fixed the restart issues
- Improvements in Internet Explorer
- Improved Bluetooth connectivity
- More stable boot sequence
- Improved image quality
- Improved battery management
- Additional platform updates and improvements
In most cases, owners of Lumia handsets will be 'notified' when the Portico patch is all set up for download and installation. Simply authorise your handset to chew in the file for the Lumia step up but not before making sure that your battery fully charged up to process the jump without glitch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS