Chinese Firms to Invest £1.3 Billion in Shale Gas Exploration
By Jerin Mathew | January 22, 2013 6:40 PM EST
China has granted shale gas exploration rights to 16 companies in a second round of auctions, as the country tries to find out more energy reserves to meet its rising needs.
China's Ministry of Land and Resources said that the companies will invest 12.8bn yuan ($2bn, £1.3bn) to search and develop 19 shale gas areas allotted to them.
The companies comprise of 14 state-owned firms and two private companies, and are part of a larger group of 57 companies that were given rights to explore shale gas blocks in October.
The first round of auctions for exploratory rights for four shale gas blocks was held in June 2011. The ministry has allotted 26 blocks for exploration so far.
The ministry will supervise the prospection and punish firms that fail to carry out work as promised, state-owned Xinhua news agency reported, citing an MLR official in charge of prospection. It will also monitor the impact of exploration on the geological environment.
The country has around 25 trillion cubic metres of shale gas reserves, according to the ministry's estimates. That makes it the world's largest in terms of shale gas reserves.
Shale gas refers to natural gas that is trapped within fine-grained sedimentary rocks. The gas, which is more environment-friendly, is unleashed using the combination of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing.
The move is in line with China's increasing demand for energy in line with its recent economic expansion. China is the world's No. 1 energy consumer at present, but depends heavily on imports for its energy needs.
By finding new energy sources, the country hopes to become more independent for its energy needs and avoid pricing problems.
Analysts expect China to become one of the largest shale gas producers in the world by 2030, while the country targets to raise shale gas production capacity to 6.5 billion cubic metres by 2015, representing about 6 percent of its total gas production at present.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers