Brothers, One with Cerebral Palsy, Receive the Sports Illustrated Kids 2012 SportsKids of the Year Award (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 22, 2013 3:55 PM EST
Cliché-ish as often indeed it sounds, but nothing really beats the good and sincere intentions of the human spirit. The Long brothers from Tennessee, Conner, aged 9, and Cayden, younger at age 7, but the one with cerebral palsy, definitely know that in their very young hearts. Competing together in triathlons, more for play and brotherhood but also with a noble mission, the two boys were ultimately recognised by the Sports Illustrated Kids magazine, naming them as the 2012 SportsKids of the Year.
The Team Long brothers got to experience their first race together on July 2012. But instead of racing individually, and perhaps even racing to outrun each other, the two boys raced together. Literally.
As a victim of cerebral palsy, Cayden cannot walk nor talk. He has limited physical functions. But these did not stop Conner to think of ways how he might be able to create bonding moments with his younger brother. Until the thought of joining triathlons entered his mind.
In their first ever race together, Conner swam while pulling Cayden in a raft, biked to the best of his speed with his little brother towed behind in a trailer, and then later run while pushing that very same trailer. They didn't win that first race. But the journey of their brotherhood neither didn't end there.
"People don't realize that when you're special needs and in a wheelchair, you won't be able to get out that much," Conner said in November 2011 to ESPN.
"If people would race with people who can't walk or talk, or who have any kind of autism, it might open the eyes of (those) who don't really care about it," Conner said in the video at the Facebook page of Special Olympics Arizona. To view the video click here --- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=244020232398018
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features