Gold, Silver Futures Rise, Canadian Shares Inch Up
By jturbin | January 22, 2013 6:14 AM EST
Gold and silver futures moved modestly higher on Monday as precious metals built on last week’s gains. Today’s strength in gold and silver came despite stability in the U.S. Dollar Index, which held near unchanged at 80.042 against a composite of foreign currencies.
While U.S. financial markets were closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, in electronic trading gold futures advanced by $2.90 to $1,689.90 per ounce. Silver futures fared slightly better, rising $0.15, or 0.5%, to $32.02 per ounce.
In Canada, mining stocks inched up alongside precious metals. The S&P/TSX Global Gold Index, comprised of many of the world’s largest gold and silver producers, added 0.3% to 296.44. Notable advancers included Barrick Gold (ABX.TSX) and Kinross Gold (K.TSX), which each rose by 0.9% to C$34.05 and C$9.53 per share, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June