Gold, Silver Futures Rise, Canadian Shares Inch Up
By jturbin | January 22, 2013 6:14 AM EST
Gold and silver futures moved modestly higher on Monday as precious metals built on last week’s gains. Today’s strength in gold and silver came despite stability in the U.S. Dollar Index, which held near unchanged at 80.042 against a composite of foreign currencies.
While U.S. financial markets were closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, in electronic trading gold futures advanced by $2.90 to $1,689.90 per ounce. Silver futures fared slightly better, rising $0.15, or 0.5%, to $32.02 per ounce.
In Canada, mining stocks inched up alongside precious metals. The S&P/TSX Global Gold Index, comprised of many of the world’s largest gold and silver producers, added 0.3% to 296.44. Notable advancers included Barrick Gold (ABX.TSX) and Kinross Gold (K.TSX), which each rose by 0.9% to C$34.05 and C$9.53 per share, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health