Gold, Silver Futures Rise, Canadian Shares Inch Up
By jturbin | January 22, 2013 6:14 AM EST
Gold and silver futures moved modestly higher on Monday as precious metals built on last week’s gains. Today’s strength in gold and silver came despite stability in the U.S. Dollar Index, which held near unchanged at 80.042 against a composite of foreign currencies.
While U.S. financial markets were closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, in electronic trading gold futures advanced by $2.90 to $1,689.90 per ounce. Silver futures fared slightly better, rising $0.15, or 0.5%, to $32.02 per ounce.
In Canada, mining stocks inched up alongside precious metals. The S&P/TSX Global Gold Index, comprised of many of the world’s largest gold and silver producers, added 0.3% to 296.44. Notable advancers included Barrick Gold (ABX.TSX) and Kinross Gold (K.TSX), which each rose by 0.9% to C$34.05 and C$9.53 per share, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers