Davos: World Economic Forum Index Shows Improved Global Confidence
By Geetha Pillai | January 21, 2013 11:50 PM EST
Positive signals from the eurozone and allayed fears of "fiscal cliff" in the US economy have lifted the global economic confidence, according to a poll published by the World Economic Forum ahead of its annual meeting in Davos-Klosters.
Confidence in the state of global economy recovered to 0.43 in the first quarter of 2013 from 0.38 recorded in the final quarter of 2012, showed the survey which covered 390 experts. It is the second highest level of economic confidence since the index began seven quarters ago.
Regionally, the higher confidence was most marked in North America followed by Europe and Asia.
The index is measured in a scale of zero to one and is calculated by taking the average of all values assigned to each response. While a reading of zero represents "not at all confident", an index level of one shows "strong confidence".
"The first Economic Confidence Index result of 2013 gives us some cause for optimism, but the figure is still in negative territory overall. We still need dynamic leadership to drive the economy ahead and overcome challenges," said Martina Gmür, Senior Director of the Forum's Network of Global Agenda Councils.
The survey also showed that the fears of a global economic slowdown declined to the lowest level in the first quarter with just 46 percent of the respondents expecting a financial shock which is five percent lower than a quarter ago and 20 points down from half a year ago.
The ability of the world to overcome the social, geopolitical, environmental or technological disturbances remains stable though 51 percent of the respondents lacked confidence in global governance and 45 percent in global cooperation.
Over 2,500 participants including nearly 50 heads of state and more than 1,500 business leaders are expected to gather at the annual meeting which is convening under the theme "Resilient Dynamism" from 23 to 27 January.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine