Arsenal Compete with Manchester United for Powerful Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | January 21, 2013 11:48 PM EST
Arsenal are interested in signing Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United after earning praise for his performances in the Champions League.
The Kenya international has been in superb form for Celtic this season and hit the headlines when he grabbed a goal against Barcelona and helped the Scottish club secure a memorable victory over Tito Vilanova's side.
Wanyama's powerful displays for Celtic have certainly attracted interest and the Daily Mail reported back in November last year that Manchester United were keen to bring the midfielder to the Premier League.
Celtic managed to sign the midfielder for just £900,000 in the summer of 2011 and were believed to have turned down a £10million offer from Queens Park Rangers last summer.
Former Manchester United defender revealed last year that he believed that Wanyama would have plenty of suitors after his performances in the Champions League.
"That display [against Barcelona] has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him," said the England coach.
While it is believed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Wanyama, the Mail has now suggested that it is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger who is keen to secure his signature.
Arsenal have been linked with West Ham's defensive midfielder Mohamed Diame but it seems they may turn their attention to Wanyama who has shown he can excel against the very best sides in Europe.
The Gunners failed to find a replacement for Alex Song in the summer and have been forced to rely on their younger players with Francis Coquelin featuring in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger suggested yesterday that he would be looking to do some business in the current transfer window but it seems fans will have to wait until the final days of January to see who arrives.
Wenger told the Arsenal website: "We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]