Arsenal Compete with Manchester United for Powerful Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | January 21, 2013 11:48 PM EST
Arsenal are interested in signing Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United after earning praise for his performances in the Champions League.
The Kenya international has been in superb form for Celtic this season and hit the headlines when he grabbed a goal against Barcelona and helped the Scottish club secure a memorable victory over Tito Vilanova's side.
Wanyama's powerful displays for Celtic have certainly attracted interest and the Daily Mail reported back in November last year that Manchester United were keen to bring the midfielder to the Premier League.
Celtic managed to sign the midfielder for just £900,000 in the summer of 2011 and were believed to have turned down a £10million offer from Queens Park Rangers last summer.
Former Manchester United defender revealed last year that he believed that Wanyama would have plenty of suitors after his performances in the Champions League.
"That display [against Barcelona] has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him," said the England coach.
While it is believed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Wanyama, the Mail has now suggested that it is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger who is keen to secure his signature.
Arsenal have been linked with West Ham's defensive midfielder Mohamed Diame but it seems they may turn their attention to Wanyama who has shown he can excel against the very best sides in Europe.
The Gunners failed to find a replacement for Alex Song in the summer and have been forced to rely on their younger players with Francis Coquelin featuring in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger suggested yesterday that he would be looking to do some business in the current transfer window but it seems fans will have to wait until the final days of January to see who arrives.
Wenger told the Arsenal website: "We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How