Arsenal Compete with Manchester United for Powerful Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | January 21, 2013 11:48 PM EST
Arsenal are interested in signing Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United after earning praise for his performances in the Champions League.
The Kenya international has been in superb form for Celtic this season and hit the headlines when he grabbed a goal against Barcelona and helped the Scottish club secure a memorable victory over Tito Vilanova's side.
Wanyama's powerful displays for Celtic have certainly attracted interest and the Daily Mail reported back in November last year that Manchester United were keen to bring the midfielder to the Premier League.
Celtic managed to sign the midfielder for just £900,000 in the summer of 2011 and were believed to have turned down a £10million offer from Queens Park Rangers last summer.
Former Manchester United defender revealed last year that he believed that Wanyama would have plenty of suitors after his performances in the Champions League.
"That display [against Barcelona] has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him," said the England coach.
While it is believed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Wanyama, the Mail has now suggested that it is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger who is keen to secure his signature.
Arsenal have been linked with West Ham's defensive midfielder Mohamed Diame but it seems they may turn their attention to Wanyama who has shown he can excel against the very best sides in Europe.
The Gunners failed to find a replacement for Alex Song in the summer and have been forced to rely on their younger players with Francis Coquelin featuring in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger suggested yesterday that he would be looking to do some business in the current transfer window but it seems fans will have to wait until the final days of January to see who arrives.
Wenger told the Arsenal website: "We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report