Arsenal Compete with Manchester United for Powerful Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | January 21, 2013 11:48 PM EST
Arsenal are interested in signing Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United after earning praise for his performances in the Champions League.
The Kenya international has been in superb form for Celtic this season and hit the headlines when he grabbed a goal against Barcelona and helped the Scottish club secure a memorable victory over Tito Vilanova's side.
Wanyama's powerful displays for Celtic have certainly attracted interest and the Daily Mail reported back in November last year that Manchester United were keen to bring the midfielder to the Premier League.
Celtic managed to sign the midfielder for just £900,000 in the summer of 2011 and were believed to have turned down a £10million offer from Queens Park Rangers last summer.
Former Manchester United defender revealed last year that he believed that Wanyama would have plenty of suitors after his performances in the Champions League.
"That display [against Barcelona] has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him," said the England coach.
While it is believed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Wanyama, the Mail has now suggested that it is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger who is keen to secure his signature.
Arsenal have been linked with West Ham's defensive midfielder Mohamed Diame but it seems they may turn their attention to Wanyama who has shown he can excel against the very best sides in Europe.
The Gunners failed to find a replacement for Alex Song in the summer and have been forced to rely on their younger players with Francis Coquelin featuring in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger suggested yesterday that he would be looking to do some business in the current transfer window but it seems fans will have to wait until the final days of January to see who arrives.
Wenger told the Arsenal website: "We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet