Arsenal Compete with Manchester United for Powerful Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | January 21, 2013 11:48 PM EST
Arsenal are interested in signing Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama who was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United after earning praise for his performances in the Champions League.
The Kenya international has been in superb form for Celtic this season and hit the headlines when he grabbed a goal against Barcelona and helped the Scottish club secure a memorable victory over Tito Vilanova's side.
Wanyama's powerful displays for Celtic have certainly attracted interest and the Daily Mail reported back in November last year that Manchester United were keen to bring the midfielder to the Premier League.
Celtic managed to sign the midfielder for just £900,000 in the summer of 2011 and were believed to have turned down a £10million offer from Queens Park Rangers last summer.
Former Manchester United defender revealed last year that he believed that Wanyama would have plenty of suitors after his performances in the Champions League.
"That display [against Barcelona] has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him," said the England coach.
While it is believed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Wanyama, the Mail has now suggested that it is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger who is keen to secure his signature.
Arsenal have been linked with West Ham's defensive midfielder Mohamed Diame but it seems they may turn their attention to Wanyama who has shown he can excel against the very best sides in Europe.
The Gunners failed to find a replacement for Alex Song in the summer and have been forced to rely on their younger players with Francis Coquelin featuring in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger suggested yesterday that he would be looking to do some business in the current transfer window but it seems fans will have to wait until the final days of January to see who arrives.
Wenger told the Arsenal website: "We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China