BASF clears hurdle to bag Norway's Pronova
January 21, 2013 7:28 PM EST
The German chemicals giant said on Monday it was tendered 97.7 percent of the shares in Norway's Pronova by the Friday deadline, more than the 90 percent it needed.
Global No.1 chemicals maker BASF is expanding in markets less exposed to swings in the economy than its core chemicals and plastics operations - a quest recently reflected in the planned acquisition of U.S. crop protection company Becker Underwood for $1.02 billion (642 million pounds).
Pronova's appeal for BASF is its expertise in the extraction of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil for use in drugs and food supplements.
BASF is now free to squeeze out the remaining shareholders and expects to conclude the transaction within the next weeks, it added.
In addition to its previous acquisitions of consumer product groups Cognis and Equateq, the Pronova deal will help BASF cover the entire omega-3 range - a market where its competitors include DSM
Overall, BASF expects the market to see 8 percent annual growth until 2020. It is also working with agricultural products group Cargill
Last week, BASF had to lift its Pronova bid to 13.50 Norwegian crowns (1.5 pounds) per share, valuing the firm at $737 million, after its initial 12.5 crowns offer was accepted by shareholders representing only just short of 70 percent of stock.
Pronova shares had closed at 13.35 crowns on Friday.
(Reporting by Ludwig Burger; Editing by Maria Sheahan)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown