BASF clears hurdle to bag Norway's Pronova
January 21, 2013 7:28 PM EST
The German chemicals giant said on Monday it was tendered 97.7 percent of the shares in Norway's Pronova by the Friday deadline, more than the 90 percent it needed.
Global No.1 chemicals maker BASF is expanding in markets less exposed to swings in the economy than its core chemicals and plastics operations - a quest recently reflected in the planned acquisition of U.S. crop protection company Becker Underwood for $1.02 billion (642 million pounds).
Pronova's appeal for BASF is its expertise in the extraction of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil for use in drugs and food supplements.
BASF is now free to squeeze out the remaining shareholders and expects to conclude the transaction within the next weeks, it added.
In addition to its previous acquisitions of consumer product groups Cognis and Equateq, the Pronova deal will help BASF cover the entire omega-3 range - a market where its competitors include DSM
Overall, BASF expects the market to see 8 percent annual growth until 2020. It is also working with agricultural products group Cargill
Last week, BASF had to lift its Pronova bid to 13.50 Norwegian crowns (1.5 pounds) per share, valuing the firm at $737 million, after its initial 12.5 crowns offer was accepted by shareholders representing only just short of 70 percent of stock.
Pronova shares had closed at 13.35 crowns on Friday.
(Reporting by Ludwig Burger; Editing by Maria Sheahan)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report