Wenger Reveals Fear of Losing Champions League Spot
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 21, 2013 7:26 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has admitted the Gunners' hopes of qualifying for the Champions Leagues look increasingly bleak. The 63-year-old Frenchman was speaking after Sunday's defeat at Chelsea, which leaves the Gunners seven points adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham.
The visitors were trailing inside the first ten minutes, after Spain international Juan Mata scored the opener. Arsenal conceded their second after goalkeeper Wojceich Szczesny was adjudged to have fouled Brazilian midfielder Ramires; veteran Frank Lampard scored from the spot.
Theo Walcott did pull one back for Arsenal in the second half and the Emirates club did play with greater purpose after the break but it was too little too late. The Gunners have succumbed to consecutive Premier League defeats for the first time in 12 months and are sixth in the league, with 34 points.
"The table is the table. We have lost two big games in the last week, and that's very damaging for us. We cannot afford to drop points any more if we want to be in the top four. We had a similar start to Man City last week, didn't defend too well and gave them too much incentive. We didn't play well in the first half, but we were much more dangerous in the second half, with a different attitude," Wenger explained to Arsenal.com after the game.
"Unfortunately we didn't make enough of our corners, free-kicks and the chances we created. That's why we lost the game. It's very damaging for our position in the league and difficult to swallow," he added.
The Frenchman was also critical of referee Martin Atkinson, who refused to stop the game in the build-up to Mata's goal after it Ramires appeared to stamp on Francis Coquelin. Wenger admitted he was frustrated by Atkinson's general performance but did not make any excuses for his team's performance in the first half.
"The referee gave many free kicks today. Some were much less than the Coquelin one. It's frustrating. It doesn't mean that we should have conceded the goal, but it's frustrating because in the big games, these kind of decisions have big importance," he said.
The defeats aside, Wenger continued to remain quiet about the club's involvement in the transfer market.
"We'll see what we can do. We are not close to signing anybody tonight or tomorrow morning," he said.
The Gunners have been linked with moves for West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diame and Crystal Palace yougnster Wilfred Zaha, among others. However, apart from loaning Marouane Chamakh and Johan Djourou out, there has been no transfer activity at the Emirates so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit